SANTA ANA, Calif. – A woman is scheduled to be arraigned for lying under oath to protect her boyfriend, who continually sexually abused and raped a 13-year-old minor in her care.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Cynthia Marie Dunaway-Erickson, 50, Huntington Beach||Charged on Nov. 2, 2017, with the following felony counts:
||Five years and four months in state prison||Arraignment
To be determined
District Attorney Tony Rackauckas stated, “A 13-year-old child must be protected not just from child molesters but from adults who lie to protect that child molester. This type of crime is simply reprehensible.”
Circumstances of the Case
- On Oct. 13, 2016, Dunaway-Erickson is accused of taking an oath to testify as a witness on behalf of defendant Jeffrey Scott Jones in case #13WF1948.
- Between September 2012 and May 2013, Jones, who held a position of trust, continuously sexually abused and raped 13-year-old Jane Doe, a minor in Dunaway-Erickson's care. Jones was found guilty by a jury on Oct.19, 2016 of two felony counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child and one felony count of continuous sexual abuse. Jones was sentenced to 46 years to life in prison on March 17, 2017.
- While testifying under oath during the trial, Dunaway-Erickson is accused of providing a false explanation as to how Jones' semen was found inside the victim's cervix.
- Dunaway-Erickson is further accused of providing false information of jury tampering to the court in order for defendant Jones to avoid conviction.
- Based on the inconsistencies between Jane Doe's statements and the defendant's previously recorded statement to Huntington Beach Police Department (HBPD), the Orange County District Attorney's Office and HBPD began investigating this case.
- HBPD arrested Dunaway-Erickson today in Huntington Beach.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Denise Hernandez, Special Prosecutions Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 17CF2707 / November , 2017