Fay Arfa practices criminal law exclusively. She has successfully handled hundreds of criminal cases, tried more than 100 jury trials, and handled more than 500 criminal appeals. Fay Arfa has the distinction of being Certified as a Specialist in two separate areas of law – Criminal Law as well as Appellate Law – by the California State Bar, Board of Specialization. The National Board of Trial Advocacy has also awarded her a board Certification in Criminal Trial Advocacy. She has been named as one of the Top 100 Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers and by the American Society of Legal Advocates. Fay Arfa has also been selected as a California Super Lawyer. Attorney Arfa testifies as an expert witness in cases raising ineffective assistance of counsel issues.
Attorney Fay Arfa graduated from UCLA with academic honors, including Phi Beta Kappa. She then earned a Master's Degree in Public Administration from UCLA. After earning her master's degree, Attorney Arfa spent several years in pubic service. She worked for several years as a Deputy to Zev Yaroslavsky, then councilman of the Fifth District of Los Angeles.
While attending law school at night, Attorney Arfa accepted a law clerk position in a prestigious Century City law firm. After four years of working full time and going to law school at night, Attorney Arfa earned her law degree. She then worked for the United States government as an attorney for the Federal Aviation Administration and later prosecuted criminal cases as a Los Angeles Deputy City Attorney.
Attorney Arfa dedicates herself toward helping all people accused of crimes. She prides herself on giving personal attention and pulling out all the stops for people accused of crimes. She fights as hard as she can for all of her clients and makes sure that all of her clients get the most vigorous defense possible. Attorney Arfa's clients consider her the “Best Defender.”
• Certified Specialist, Criminal Law, The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
• Certified Specialist, Appellate Law, The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
• Certified Criminal Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy (American Bar Assocation Accredited Organization)
• California State Bar
• U.S. District Court, Central District of California
• U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
• U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
• Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
• U.S. Supreme Court
• GRADUATE: University of California at Los Angeles, Master of Public Administration ( M.P.A.)
• UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE: University of California at Los Angeles (B.A., cum laude) Phi Beta Kappa.
• LAW SCHOOL: Southwestern University School of Law, J.D.
Century City Bar:
• President: 2012-2013
• Member, Board of Governors, 1998-Present
• Editor – Century City Bar Newsletter
• Chair: Criminal Law Section 1998-2011
• Chair: Substance Abuse Section, 1997-1998
• Los Angeles County Bar Association – Member – Board of Trustees (2012 – 2013)
• Women's Lawyer Association of Los Angeles
• Criminal Courts Bar Association
• National Association Criminal Defense Lawyers
• California Public Defenders Association
• California Appellate Defense Counsel
• California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
• Los Angeles County Bar Assn.: (Member, Small Firm & Solo Practice Executive Committee, 1996-1997)
• Fay Arfa, A Law Corporation
• Deputy, Los Angeles City Attorney
• General Attorney, Federal Aviation Administration
• Deputy, Los Angeles City Council, Fifth Council District
• Government Intern, United States Senate, Washington, D.C.
• Author: “Man Wrongly Accused of Rape Released After 10 Years” Century City Lawyer, March, 2016.
• Author: “Hard Lessons Learned From a Hard Drive Crash” Century City Lawyer, October, 2012.
• Author: “Knock, Knock…Who's There? The Police. Do the Police Have a Right to Enter Your House?,” Century City Lawyer, November 2000.
• Guest Speaker: “Attacking the SART Exam: A Lawyer's Perspective”” Public Defenders Association of Iowa, 2018
• Moderator: “Stop Tit for Tat Ending Sexual Harassment & Bias” Century City Bar Association 2018
• Moderator “Mesereau on Trials: Qs & As” Century City Bar Association, 2017
• Guest Speaker: “Deconstructing Sexual Exam Findings & History” National Child Abuse Defense & Resource Center, 2016
• Moderator: “Get Up to Speed on Weed” Century City Bar Association, 2010
• Guest Lecturer, “Criminal Law Motion Practice,” Loyola Law School, 2002.
• Guest Speaker, “Alcohol: Effects on Life Liberty and Livelihood,” UCLA School of Law, 1997.
• Speaker, “Substance Abuse: Effects on Life Liberty and Livelihood,” Century City Bar Association, 1997.
• Moderator: “Marijuana – The Good, Bad and Legal (?),” Century City Bar Association, 1997
• Moderator: “Sex Addiction, the Highs, the Lows, the Ups, the Downs, and the Ins and Outs,” Century City Bar Association, 1999.
• National Public Radio, Sky News, Court TV/CNN.
People v. Clark (1989) 212 Cal.App.3d 1233; In re William S. (1989) 208 Cal.App.3d 313; People v. Mitchell (1994) 30 Cal.App.4th 783; People v. Monette (1994) 25 Cal.App.4th 1572;
People v. Ponce (1996) 44 Cal.App.4th 1380; People v. Ellison (1998) 68 Cal.App.4th 203; U.S. v. Robertson, 158 F.3d. 1370 (9th Cir. 1998); People v. Borrelli (2000) 77 Cal.App.4th
703; People v. Young (2001) 92 Cal.App.4th 229; In re Eduardo C. (2001) 90 Cal.App.4th 937; U.S. v. Franklin, 321 F.3d 1231 (9th Cir. 2003);U.S. v. Guo, 634 F.3d 119 (9th Cir. 2011); King
v. Ryan, 564 F.3d 1133 (9th Cir. 2009); Collins v. Runnels, 603 F.3d 1127 (9th Cir. 2010); People v. Sizemore (2009) 175 Cal.App.4th 864; Henderson v. Johnson, 710 F.3d 872 (9th Cir.
2013); Aleman v. Uribe, 723 F.3d 976 (9th Cir. 2013); People v. Demirdjian (2006) 144 Cal.App.4th 10; U.S. v. Franklin, 321 F.3d 1231 (9th Cir. 2003); People v. Aleksanyan (2014)
231 Cal.App.4th Supp.1; People v. Iniguez (2016) 247 Cal.App.4th Supp.1; People v. Johnson (2013) 221 Cal.App.4th 943.
Recent Blog Posts
Mark Ridley Thomas Found Guilty
Former Dean of USC’s Social Work School Agrees to Plead Guilty to Bribery for Funneling $100,000 Payment to Secure County Contract
The Strong Case says Ok for someone convicted of murder to petition for resentencing if jury found the defendant was a "major participant" who acted with "reckless indifference to human life."
What was he thinking? Long Beach Police Officer Gets 6 years in Federal Prison for Distributing Child Pornography
Former Head of Anaheim Chamber of Commerce Pleads Guilty to Federal Fraud, False Statement and Criminal Tax Charges
“....A note of appreciation for all of your professional talent and time..."Just a note of appreciation for all of your professional talent and time you gave towards my case. No matter how it turns out, you were great. Thanks, Fay. P.S. Thanks for returning my calls in such a courteous manner.
“NO amount of money could have brought a better defense than you provided..."#1 lawyer. Dear Fay, No amount of money could have bought a better defense than you provided. I hope I was not the worst client you have had. In your opening and closing remarks you made Marcia sound like a clown. I tip my hat to you for your attributes as a person as well as a lawyer. You're great.
“I am eternally grateful to whatever made it possible for such an intelligent and gifted person..."I just wanted to give you my sincerest thank you for all you've done with my father's case. When he was arrested I was so emotionally wrecked I couldn't see straight. You were recommended by a friend of my father's. The only other lawyer I had spoken to, besides the public defender who told me ri...
“Our love and best wishes go out to you all for all you have done for my brother Francisco Maldonado, who is free at last..."Our love and best wishes go out to you for all you have done for my brother Francisco Maldonado, who is free at last. You fought like a true warrior, like a mother, like a sister, like the great human being and lawyer that you are. Those five years weren't easy, but you always stood strong and b...
“I have been so blessed to have such a brilliant attorney..."I hired Ms. Arfa to help me with my case and we won! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Ms. Arfa. I cannot thank her enough. I am so happy. I feel so good. God is great! I can't get this smile off my face. I've never been so happy. I have been so blessed to have such a brilliant attorney. I cannot ...
“Words cannot express completely how grateful and thankful I am for your very hard work...."Words cannot express completely how grateful and thankful I am for your very hard work on behalf of the HH family. Thank you for your kindness and compassion for you have cared for JH as if she was family. Thank you for your professionalism and training. I am sure you have worked very hard to un...