SANTA ANA, Calif. – A third striker was charged yesterday with robbing nine retail clerks in South Orange County and attempting to rob a 10th in a period of five weeks.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Mathew Scott Rendon, 36, Mission Viejo||
Charged on Jan. 4, 2017, with the following felony counts:
Prior Strike Convictions
|300 years to life in state prison||
Jan. 12, 2018, 8:30 a.m.
Department H-7, Harbor Justice Center, Newport Beach
Bail: $1 million
Circumstances of the Case
- On Dec. 1, 2017, at approximately 6:50 p.m., Rendon is accused of brandishing a replica firearm while robbing cashiers at Powell's Sweet Shop in Laguna Niguel and GameStop in Irvine an hour later while wearing a thick flannel shirt and an American flag bandana across his face. Irvine Police Department (IPD) responded and investigated this case.
- On Dec. 4, 2017, at approximately 10:50 p.m., Rendon is accused of robbing a clerk at Gregg's Mobil gas station in Mission Viejo. The Orange County Sheriff's Department (OCSD) investigated this crime and the following crimes.
- On Dec. 6, 2017, the defendant is accused of wearing the same attire and robbing a GameStop cashier in Aliso Viejo 8:30 p.m. while threatening the clerk with what appeared to be a firearm.
- On Dec. 11, 2017, at approximately 7:50 p.m., Rendon is accused of attempting to rob an employee of Laguna Smoke Shop in Laguna Hills but fleeing when the cashiers remained frozen in fear. The defendant is accused of robbing a Verizon Wireless store in Mission Viejo approximately 30 minutes later.
- On Dec. 21, 2017, the defendant is accused of robbing a Little Caesars pizza cashier in Mission Viejo at 7:30 p.m.
- On Dec. 30, 2017, Rendon is accused of robbing a Baskin Robbins ice cream shop in Mission Viejo by demanding money from a cashier at approximately 8:45 p.m.
- OCSD used predictive crime analysis methods to locate and arrest the defendant, who repeated a Monday-Wednesday-Friday robbery schedule. Rendon is accused of possessing the clothing items worn in each of the above robberies and a BB gun resembling a firearm at the time of his arrest.
Prosecutor: Harbor Justice Center Felony Panel
*Defendant released from prison in 2016 following 15-year sentence for robbery
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 18HF0039 / January 5, 2018