SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was sentenced to nine years in state prison today for attacking his wife with a meat cleaver after an argument in their Garden Grove aparctment.
|Thang Van Nguyen, 48, Garden Grove||Found guilty by a jury on Feb. 9, 2018, of the following felony counts:
Sentencing Enhancements Found True:
|Nine years in state prison|
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the crime, Nguyen and Jane Doe lived with their children in an apartment in Garden Grove.
- At approximately 6:45 a.m. on Jan. 19, 2016, Nguyen verbally argued with Jane Doe in their apartment. During the course of the argument, Nguyen walked into the kitchen and grabbed a meat cleaver and attacked the victim. The defendant swung the meat cleaver at Jane Doe's head and left her severely wounded with deep lacerations.
- The children were in the residence at the time of the crime, but were not harmed.
- Nguyen contacted the Garden Grove Fire Department and paramedics transported the victim to the University of California, Irvine Medical Center, where she was placed in a medically induced coma and treated for a brain injury.
- The Garden Grove Police Department investigated this case.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Mark Geller, Family Protection Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 16WF0125 / February 9, 2018