SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man identified through a DNA hit was convicted yesterday of robbing, kidnapping, and sexually assaulting a store employee in 2012.
|Danny Thien Nguyen, 28, Garden Grove||Pleaded guilty yesterday, May 24, 2018, to one felony count each of:
Sentencing Enhancement (Admitted)
|22 years in state prison
Mandatory sex offender registration pursuant to PC 290
Circumstances of the Case
- At approximately 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 10, 2012, Nguyen entered a business on the 9000 block of Talbert Avenue in Fountain Valley.
- Jane Doe was working alone inside the business at the time. Nguyen robbed Jane Doe at gunpoint and ordered the victim to a back room in the business and sexually assaulted her against her will.
- DNA samples were collected from the crime scene but the defendant was not identified.
- On Oct. 3, 2012, Nguyen pleaded guilty to one felony count of attempted second degree robbery and one felony count of assault with a deadly weapon for a crime that took place on Jan. 7, 2012 (Case # 12WF0733). As part of his sentence, Nguyen was required to submit a DNA sample to the national DNA database, Combined DNA Index System (CODIS).
- In March 2016, the DNA samples from the crime scene were processed. In June 2016, the Orange County Crime Lab received a CODIS DNA hit linking Nguyen to the unsolved sexual assault.
- On June 23, 2016, officers from the Fountain Valley Police Department (FVPD) arrested Nguyen.
- FVPD investigated this case.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Lexie Elliott, Sexual Assault
Orange County District Attorney /Case # 16WF1326 / May 25, 2018