SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was convicted today of attacking a woman on a jogging trail with the intent to sexually assault her.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Mario Orlando Montano, 59, Anaheim||
Found guilty by a jury today of the following felony counts:
Sentencing Enhancements Found True
|11 years in state prison||
Aug. 4, 2017, 9:00 a.m.
Department C-36, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On the afternoon on Dec. 10, 2013, 24-year-old Jane Doe was jogging on a trail in a reservoir in Anaheim Hills.
- When she slowed to a walk, Montano jogged up to the victim and tried to engage her in conversation, then tackled Jane Doe to the ground.
- The defendant climbed on top of her as she kiked and struggled to get away.
- When the victim began to scream, Montano covered her mouth. The victim's tooth was knocked out in the struggle.
- The defendant reached for his pants with the intent to commit a sexual assault, but Jane Doe was able to kick him and escape.
- Jane Doe ran to a nearby home and called 911.
- The Anaheim Police Department (APD) immediately responded and located the defendant on the trail.
APD investigated this case.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Harris Siddiq, Felony Panel
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 13NF4475/ June 21, 2017