SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was charged with murder and attempted murder for stabbing his mother to death and stabbing his father multiple times. The defendant is also charged with attempting to murder another victim and attempting to carjack a bystander.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Yihong Peng, 30,
San Juan Capistrano
|Charged on April 3, 2018, with the following felony counts:
|44 years to life in state prison||Arraignment
April 3, 2018, time to be determined
Department C-1, Central Justice Center,
Circumstances of the Case
- On the morning of March 30, 2018, Peng is accused of behaving oddly at a fitness center in San Juan Capistrano. Orange County Sheriff's Department (OCSD) deputies arrived to the scene and provided the defendant a ride home.
- Later that evening, Peng is accused of starting a verbal altercation with his mother, 59-year-old Wei Ping Shen, and his father, 59-year-old John Doe 1, outside of the defendant's residence in San Juan Capistrano.
- Peng is further accused of brandishing a butcher knife, chasing his parents into the street, then stabbing his mother and father multiple times.
- The defendant is accused of approaching John Doe 2, who was sitting in a vehicle outside the defendant's home, and attempting to stab the victim through his car window.
- Peng is further accused of attempting to carjack a bystander, who fought the defendant and sustained several cuts during the struggle.
- At approximately 10:30 p.m., neighbors contacted OCSD to report the incident.
- OCSD deputies and paramedics from Orange County Fire Authority responded to the scene, where Ping Shen was pronounced deceased from multiple stab wounds and John Doe 1 was transported to a local hospital in critical condition.
- OCSD deputies located and arrested Peng near his residence.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Troy Pino, Homicide Unit
*Defendant also charged with attempted murder of friend and attempted carjacking
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 18HF0483 / April 3, 2018