SANTA ANA, Calif. – A Deputy District Attorney with the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office was charged on Tuesday, April 11, 2017, with filing false tax returns and failing to report capital gains over $328,000 from the sale of a rental property.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Nicole Lai Nhu Vo, 39, Tustin||
||Five years and eight months in state prison||To be determined|
Vo is accused of the following:
- Filing false tax returns by claiming a property she owned in Redondo Beach was her personal residence in 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2014, under penalty of perjury
- Willfully failing to report rental income on her tax return for the year 2012
- Not residing in the Redondo Beach property and renting it to tenants between 2010 and 2014, then failing to report the annual rental income on her tax returns
- Failing to report capital gains of more than $328,000 from the sale of the rental property
- Having an unpaid tax liability of over $25,000 due to the fraudulent tax returns
The California Franchise Tax Board investigated this case.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney William Overtoom, Major Fraud Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 17CF0910 / April 13, 2017