SANTA ANA, Calif. – A Garden Grove church volunteer was sentenced today to five years in state prison for continually sexually abusing a 14-year-old girl he mentored at church.
|Vincent Daniel Lavello, 53, Garden Grove||Pleaded guilty on Aug. 17, 2015, to the following felony counts:
||Five years in state prison
Register as a sex offender pursuant to PC 290
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the crimes, Lavello was in a position of trust as a church volunteer in Garden Grove, where he met 14-year-old Jane Doe.
- Between June 20, 2014, and July 20, 2014, the defendant committed lewd acts upon Jane Doe on multiple occasions and engaged in unlawful sexual intercourse with the victim.
- Lavello groomed Jane Doe by providing financial assistance to the victim's family, helping them get an apartment, and buying the victim gifts.
- In August 2015, inappropriate text messages from the defendant to Jane Doe were discovered and reported to the Garden Grove Police Department (GGPD), who investigated this case.
- GGPD officers arrested the defendant on Aug. 17, 2015.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Lexie Elliott, Sexual Assault Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 14WF4071 / January 4, 2018