SANTA ANA, Calif. – A drunken driver was charged today with murder for swerving onto the sidewalk and crashing into a family of four, killing the mother and injuring her husband and two teenage children.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Kamal Akwette Attoh, 37, Santa Ana||Charged today with the following felony counts:
|22 years and four months to life in state prison||Pre-trial hearing
July 12, 2018, 8:30 a.m.
Department H-7, Harbor Justice Center, Newport Beach
Bail: $1 million
Circumstances of the Case
- On May 16, 2018, at approximately 8:00 p.m., Attoh is accused of driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) near the intersection of Ridgeline and Turtle Rock Drive in Irvine. The defendant was previously convicted of DUI in Orange County in 2001 and Ventura in 2002.
- The defendant is accused of swerving off the roadway and onto the sidewalk, striking a pedestrian family of four, driving down an embankment, and coming to a stop after hitting a tree.
- Witnesses called 911 and emergency medical responders rescued 49-year-old John Doe 1 from under Attoh's vehicle. The victim was then airlifted to a local hospital to be treated for a ruptured spleen and other serious internal injuries.
- 18-year-old John Doe 2 and 15-year-old Jane Doe were rushed to another local hospital. Jane Doe required stitches and John Doe 2 sustained various injuries including a broken nose.
- 45-year-old Jeongmi Choi was pronounced deceased upon arrival at the hospital.
- The Irvine Police Department investigated this case and arrested Attoh at the scene, where the defendant is accused of driving with a blood alcohol content of 0.22%.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Whitney Bokosky, Homicide Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 18HF0719 / May 18, 2018