SANTA ANA, Calif. – A drunken driver was charged yesterday with assaulting two Fountain Valley police officers after speeding through a roadblock and attempting to hit the officers with his car.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Matthew Snoyman, 34, Westminster||Charged on May 23, 2018, with the following counts:
|Six years and four months in state prison plus one year in county jail||Arraignment
May 30, 2018, 1:30 p.m.
Department W-2, West Justice Center, Westminster
Circumstances of the Case
- During the late evening on Oct. 13, 2017, a fatal traffic collision occurred at the intersection of Magnolia Street and Mint Avenue in the city of Fountain Valley. Fountain Valley Police Department (FVPD) officers responded to the scene and blocked off the area with illuminated alert boards, traffic cones, police tape, and multiple road closure signs.
- At approximately 5:15 a.m. on Oct. 14, 2017, Snoyman is accused of driving southbound on Magnolia while under the influence of alcohol.
- The defendant is accused of speeding in excess of 60 miles per hour through the roadblock toward the scene of the fatal traffic collision and nearly striking two FVPD vehicles.
- Snoyman is accused of making an abrupt U-turn and accelerating toward two FVPD officers who were standing in the street inside the roadblock area. The defendant is accused of attempting to strike both officers with his vehicle, which led to an officer-involved shooting.* Snoyman is further accused of speeding northbound on Magnolia through police tape and traffic cones.
- FVPD officers arrested the defendant near the scene.
- At the time of the crime, Snoyman is accused of having a BAC of .23.
* No further information will be released regarding the officer-involved shooting until the conclusion of the investigation, at which time, a report will be made available to the public.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Paul Chrisopoulos, Special Prosecutions Unit
Orange County District Attorney / Case # 18WF1170 / May 24, 2018
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment