Best Defender Bytes:

February 11, 2013

Malibu Man Arraigned in Shooting of Neighbor

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , — fayarfa @ 8:33 pm

VAN NUYS – A 27-year-old Malibu man accused of shooting and wounding his neighbor during a dispute was arraigned today on attempted murder and assault charges, the District Attorney’s office announced.

Patrick Kearns Leach, 27 (dob 8-11-1985), was charged in case No. LA 073224. Leach, who is free on $1 million bail, was to appear in Van Nuys Superior Court later this week for arraignment. Instead, he appeared today.

Deputy District Attorney Elan S. Carr said Commissioner Mitchell Block sent the case to Van Nuys Department 120 and set March 18 for preliminary hearing setting.

Although the case filed late yesterday asked that bail be increased to $1.5 million, Carr said the commissioner decided the bail of $1 million would stand.

Leach is charged with shooting his neighbor last month. It was alleged in the complaint that the defendant used a handgun to commit the crime and that the victim suffered great bodily injury.

The complaint specifically charges one count of attempted murder and one count of assault with a semiautomatic firearm. If convicted as charged, the defendant faces a maximum sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole.

Leach was arrested by Sheriff’s deputies after the shooting, which occurred the morning of Jan. 9 in a common driveway both the defendant and victim share on West Winding Way in the hills above Malibu.

January 24, 2013

Pizza Deliveryman Murderer Sentenced

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 1:49 am

LOS ANGELES – A 19-year-old man was sentenced today to more than 77 years to life in prison for the 2011 slaying of a 25-year-old pizza deliveryman in Silver Lake, the District Attorney’s office announced.

Jose Beltran, convicted of the second-degree murder of Juan Vazquez and the attempted murder of two of his friends, was sentenced by Judge Clifford Klein, who called the Aug. 7, 2011, murder “a callous killing.”

Deputy District Attorney Amy Ashvanian with the Hardcore Gang Division prosecuted the case.

Beltran was convicted in September of fatally shooting Vazquez, who was driving two co-workers home from work about 5 a.m. The shooting occurred in the 1400 block of Silver Lake Boulevard.

Three people addressed the judge prior to sentencing, including the two men who were riding with Juan Vazquez at the time and narrowly escaped being shot.

“His mother has so much pain,” said Luis Lopez, who addressed the court through a Spanish interpreter. “(Beltran) should be locked up.”

Man Charged in Northridge Quadruple Murder Case

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 1:36 am

SAN FERNANDO – A 31-year-old felon was charged today with capital murder in the fatal shooting of two women and two men outside a Northridge residence on Dec. 2, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Ka Pasasouk (dob 8-28-81), who has remained in custody since his Dec. 3 arrest in Las Vegas, was charged with the special circumstance murders of Teofilo Navales, Robert Calabia, Amanda Ghossein and Jennifer Kim outside the home in the 17400 block of Devonshire Street, said Deputy District Attorney Dan Akemon with the Major Crimes Division.

Pasasouk also was charged with one count of attempted murder, five counts of assault with a semiautomatic firearm and possession of a firearm by a felon with five priors. The complaint, PA075729, alleges personal discharge of a handgun and the special circumstance of multiple murders.

Arraignment is currently scheduled for Jan. 25 at Los Angeles County Superior Court, San Fernando, Department S. He is being held without bail. Prosecutors will decide later whether to seek the death penalty against the defendant.

Of the four people initially arrested in the case investigated by LAPD’s Robbery-Homicide Division, Pasasouk is the only one charged with gunning down all four victims. An investigation is ongoing.

January 12, 2013

Alleged Shooter Charged in Venice Pastor’s Murder

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 5:06 am

LOS ANGELES – A reputed gang member suspected of fatally shooting a Compton youth minister in Venice last June has been charged with his murder, along with a third accomplice, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Attorney Teresa Magno with the Hardcore Gang Division said Hopeton Parsley, 23 (dob 8-2-89), was charged Wednesday with being the shooter in the murder of Oscar Duncan on June 4, 2012.

Parsley, who was arrested Thursday by LAPD officers, is scheduled to be arraigned today at Los Angeles Superior Court, Airport Division, in Department 144. Prosecutors will ask his bail be set at $2 million.

Parsley, a reputed Playboy Gangster Crip, was among a group of men who allegedly drove up to Oscar Duncan and his girlfriend, who were standing on a Venice street. Authorities say the assailants shouted a gang name before Parsley allegedly fired a single shot, striking the 23-year-old Duncan in the head. Duncan, who was not a gang member, was involved in gang intervention in addition to being a youth minister.

Parsley joins co-defendant Kevin Dwayne Green, 29, aka Baby Skull, and Nichole Sheran, 18 (dob 10-24-94) in case SA 080993. All three are charged with one count of murder with gun use and street gang allegations. The complaint alleges Parsley, who has prior convictions, personally discharged a handgun.

Green, who was charged in June with murder and a separate count of second degree robbery that allegedly occurred on May 21 along with one count of felon in possession of a firearm, returns to Department D on Jan. 28 for a pretrial conference. Sheran, who pleaded not guilty to the single count of murder, returns to court Feb. 20 for preliminary hearing setting.

If convicted, Parsley faces a minimum of 50 years to life in prison.

January 10, 2013

18th Street Gangmember Sentenced to Life in Federal Prison for Racketeering Offenses Related to Fatal Shooting of 23-Day-Old Infant

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 8:18 pm

LOS ANGELES – A member of the 18th Street criminal street gang was sentenced to life without parole in federal prison for his conviction on racketeering offenses arising out of the September 2007 shooting of a street vendor near MacArthur Park that resulted in the murder of a 23-day-old infant.

Javier Perez, 35, received a life sentence from United States District Judge Dean D. Pregerson. There is no parole in the federal system.

Perez was one of four defendants – all of whom were members or associates of the Columbia Lil’ Cycos clique of the 18th Street gang (the “CLCS Organization”) – who were found guilty of federal racketeering offenses last May.

The three other defendants found guilty after last May’s trial are: Eduardo Hernandez, 35; Vladimir Iraheta, 31; and Leonidas Iraheta, 31. Judge Pregerson is scheduled to sentence those defendants on January 24 and 25.

According to court documents and evidence presented at trial, the CLCS Organization used violence and intimidation to control narcotics distribution in an area adjoining MacArthur Park in the Westlake District of Los Angeles. Under the orders of the CLCS Organization’s leadership, narcotics suppliers and street dealers paid “rent” – typically a percentage of proceeds from the sale of narcotics – in exchange for permission from the CLCS Organization to sell narcotics in the organization’s territory. Those who paid “rent” received the exclusive authorization to sell narcotics in CLCS Organization territory, as well as protection from rivals. Street vendors operating in CLCS Organization territory also were required to pay “rent” to the organization in order to be allowed to sell their wares near MacArthur Park. Evidence presented at trial showed that the CLCS Organization made tens of thousands of dollars a week through its collection of “rent.” The failure or refusal to pay “rent” and otherwise follow the organization’s rules would result in retribution, including acts of violence.

(more…)

January 8, 2013

Man Charged With Murder of Man Discovered Buried in Concrete

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 8:39 pm

WHITTIER – A 45-year-old Santa Fe Springs man was charged today with fatally shooting a man that he later allegedly encased in concrete, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Juan Manuel Ramirez, aka Juan Alberto Galviz (dob 1-14-66) is scheduled to be arraigned at Los Angeles Superior Court in Whittier sometime after 1:30 p.m.

Ramirez is charged in case VA128108 with one count of murder with a special allegation that he personally discharged a shotgun. Prosecutors will ask his bail be set at $1 million.

Ramirez allegedly fatally shot the victim, whose name is being withheld pending notification of relatives, on Dec. 23. He later encased the body in cement and buried inside a Santa Fe Springs business, said Deputy District Attorney Jennifer McDonald, deputy in charge of the Whittier Office. Whittier police responded to a tip and discovered the body on Monday.

If convicted, Ramirez faces up to life in prison.

January 7, 2013

Two Charged in Connection With Christmas Day Murder of a Neighborhood Coach

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 11:06 pm

PASADENA – A reputed gang member was charged today with capital murder in the Dec. 25 fatal shooting of a neighborhood athletics coach who was caught in the line of fire during a car-to-car shooting, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Larry Darnell Bishop Jr., 20 (dob 7-8-92), is charged in case GA088554 with one count of murder with the special circumstances of discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle and murder to further a criminal street gang. He’s also charged with one count of attempted murder, two counts of shooting at an inhabited dwelling, and possession of a firearm by a felon, charges that include personal discharge of a handgun.

Deputy District Attorney Mark Inaba with the Hardcore Gang Division said that Bishop and a second suspect, Gary Aurthur (CQ) Davis, 20 (dob 3-13-92), who is charged in the same complaint as being an accessory after the fact, will make their first court appearance this afternoon at Los Angeles Superior Court in Pasadena, Department D.

Bishop is charged with fatally shooting Victor McClinton, 49, who was gunned down about 11 a.m. on Christmas Day at Newport Avenue and Wyoming Street in Pasadena. The father of two was walking a fellow coach to his car when he was fatally shot, authorities said.

Bishop is also charged with the attempted murder of a driver who crashed his vehicle into a light pole after he sustained a gunshot wound.

There is no evidence at this time that McClinton’s fatal shooting is related to a brief high-speed car chase that killed two people in the same area hours later. Police are still investigating both incidents.

Prosecutors will decide later whether to seek the death penalty for Bishop, who was convicted of two felony commercial burglaries in San Bernardino County.

December 21, 2012

Fugitive Charged with Deputy’s Murder Extradited from Mexico

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 8:05 am

LOS ANGELES – One of six alleged Avenues gang members charged with capital murder in the 2008 fatal shooting of Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Juan Abel Escalante outside his parents’ home is awaiting arraignment today after being extradited from Mexico on Friday, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Armando Albarran, aka “Chivo,” 30 (dob 6-8-82), was charged with one count each of conspiracy and murder with the special circumstance that the murder was carried out to further a criminal street gang, said Deputy District Attorney Phillip Stirling with the Crimes Against Peace Officers Unit. He is being held without bail.

Stirling, who is prosecuting the case along with Deputy District Attorney John Colello, said Albarran was allegedly sitting in the back seat of the car when the 27-year-old officer was fatally shot as he was preparing to leave for his morning shift at the Men’s Central Jail.

Of the six people charged in the case, three have pleaded. Carlos Javier Velasquez, aka “Stoney, 28, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. The admitted shooter was sentenced Oct. 23 to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

(more…)

December 18, 2012

SECURITY GUARD TO BE ARRAIGNED FOR FIRING SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPON AT FASHION ISLAND

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 7:13 pm

SANTA ANA - A security guard will be arraigned today for discharging his gun at Fashion Island. Marcos Sarinana Gurrola, 42, Garden Grove, is charged with 54 felony counts of shooting at an occupied building and two felony counts of aggravated assault with sentencing enhancements for the use of a firearm. He was also charged with 10 felony counts of the negligent discharge of a firearm for a previous incident. If convicted on all counts, he faces a maximum sentence of 115 years in state prison. The People will request the defendant be held without bail at his arraignment today, Dec. 18, 2012, at 3:00 p.m. in Department CJ-1, Central Jail, Santa Ana.

At approximately 4:30 p.m. on Dec. 15, 2012, Gurrola is accused of driving his white Honda Civic and parking in the Macy’s parking lot at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. He is accused of exiting his vehicle armed with a Glock .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun and six magazines. He is accused of raising his firearm and discharging 54 rounds of ammunition in the direction of the Macy’s building. As a result of the shooting, Gurrola is accused of causing a mother and her 4-year-old daughter to suffer minor injuries from being pushed by panicked shoppers, who were running for cover. None of the bullets struck the building.

The defendant is accused of dropping his weapon and surrendering to Newport Beach police officers. At the time of Gurrola’s arrest, police recovered ammunition for different weapons including .44 caliber, .380 caliber, and .38 caliber, and no other weapons.

The Newport Beach Police Department investigated the case and linked the defendant to a previous incident. At approximately 3:45 p.m. on Nov. 16, 2011, Gurrola is accused of discharging 10 rounds from a firearm in a parking lot at Fashion Island. The shooting was reported to police but no suspects were detained or identified. The defendant was linked to the November 2011 crime as a result of the investigation into the recent shooting.

December 4, 2012

Two Men Charged in Federal Court with Killing of Coast Guard Officer During Law Enforcement Operation Targeting ‘Panga’ Boat

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 6:42 pm

LOS ANGELES – Federal prosecutors have charged two Mexican nationals in the killing of a Coast Guard officer who died as a result of being thrown from a Coast Guard vessel that was rammed by a “panga” boat operated by the Mexicans.

A criminal complaint filed this afternoon in United States District Court charges the two men in the death of Chief Petty Officer Terrell Horne III, a 14-year-veteran of the Coast Guard who died early yesterday morning while his boat was attempting to interdict the panga boat near Santa Cruz Island in the Channel Islands National Park.

The two men charged with killing an officer of the United States while that officer was engaged in his official duties are:
Jose Meija-Leyva, who told investigators that he was the captain of the boat; and
Manuel Beltran-Higuera.

The two defendants will be making their initial court appearances in federal court in downtown Los Angeles later this afternoon.

Officer Horne, a 34-year-old Redondo Beach resident, was killed during a law enforcement operation that began late on December 1 when a Coast Guard airplane identified a suspicious boat about one mile off Santa Cruz Island. After Coast Guard personnel on the Coast Guard cutter Halibut boarded the boat, the airplane identified another suspicious vessel nearby in Smuggler’s Cove on Santa Cruz Island, according to the affidavit in support of the criminal complaint. The airplane reported that the suspicious vessel in Smuggler’s Cove was an approximately 30-foot-long open-bowed fishing vessel, commonly referred to as a “panga” boat.

(more…)

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress