Best Defender Bytes:

February 11, 2013

Malibu Man Arraigned in Shooting of Neighbor

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , — fayarfa @ 8:33 pm

VAN NUYS – A 27-year-old Malibu man accused of shooting and wounding his neighbor during a dispute was arraigned today on attempted murder and assault charges, the District Attorney’s office announced.

Patrick Kearns Leach, 27 (dob 8-11-1985), was charged in case No. LA 073224. Leach, who is free on $1 million bail, was to appear in Van Nuys Superior Court later this week for arraignment. Instead, he appeared today.

Deputy District Attorney Elan S. Carr said Commissioner Mitchell Block sent the case to Van Nuys Department 120 and set March 18 for preliminary hearing setting.

Although the case filed late yesterday asked that bail be increased to $1.5 million, Carr said the commissioner decided the bail of $1 million would stand.

Leach is charged with shooting his neighbor last month. It was alleged in the complaint that the defendant used a handgun to commit the crime and that the victim suffered great bodily injury.

The complaint specifically charges one count of attempted murder and one count of assault with a semiautomatic firearm. If convicted as charged, the defendant faces a maximum sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole.

Leach was arrested by Sheriff’s deputies after the shooting, which occurred the morning of Jan. 9 in a common driveway both the defendant and victim share on West Winding Way in the hills above Malibu.

January 1, 2013

Man Charged with Attempted Murder of Homeless Woman

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , — fayarfa @ 6:46 pm

VAN NUYS — A 24-year-old Van Nuys man was charged today with attempted murder after he allegedly set a homeless woman on fire as she slept on a bus bench in Van Nuys, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Dennis Petillo (dob 7-26-88) is scheduled to be arraigned sometime today in case LA072905 in Los Angeles Superior Court in Van Nuys, Department 100, said Deputy District Attorney Sean Carney with Target Crimes. In addition to attempted murder, he is charged with aggravated mayhem.

Prosecutors will ask his bail be set at $1.03 million.

Petillo allegedly threw an ignitable liquid on the woman then set her on fire, Carney said. The incident occurred shortly before 1 a.m. on Dec. 27 near Van Nuys Boulevard and Sherman Way.

The 67-year-old victim remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition, officials said.

If convicted, Petillo faces a maximum of up to life in state prison.

December 28, 2012

Largest Bail Amounts of 2012

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 7:24 pm

As the year comes to a close AboutBail decided to look into the largest bail amounts of 2012. It was a big year for bail, and a variety of individuals and offenses are on the list, including several sexual assault cases, murders, insider trading, and eluding arrest. The defendants range from young individuals to teachers and hedge fund portfolio managers.

Check out the bail amounts, the crimes and details associated with them, and let us know if you think the bail amounts match the crimes.

#10 - $4.2 Million

David Navarro - Attempted Murder
David Navarro, a resident of Soledad, California, was arrested for allegedly firing shots at police officers while running across a highway. Navarro had been riding in a friend’s car when the police had tried to pull them over. Navaro was wanted on suspicion of raping a minor and posession of illegal drugs and ran from the car while shooting errantly at the officers. As he shot at five total officers, he has been charged with five counts of attempted murder.

#9 - $5 Million

Mathew Martoma - Insider Trading
Mathew Martoma, a former hedge fund portfolio manager, is the defendant in one of the largest insider trading fraud lawsuits in U.S. history. Martoma managed to avoid losses and sell short $246 million dollars in a two day period, making it the largest insider trading transaction in history. Martoma exploited a relationship with a medical school professor to obtain confidential informaton about a new Alzheimer’s drug. He is the fourth person associated with company SAC Capital in the past four years to be arrested in connection with insider trading charges.

#9 - $5 Million

Joseph David Dorsey - Murder
Lake Elslnore resident Joseph David Dorsey was held on $5 million bail after allegedly murdering a woman and stuffing her remains into a suitcase. Though $1 million is the general amount set by the bail schedule for a murder case, the prosecutor explained that as authorities had to spend significant funds to extradite Dorsey from Mexico that he was a flight risk. The bail amount was then increased.

www.aboutbail.com

December 14, 2012

MAN SENTENCED TO 31 YEARS TO LIFE IN PRISON FOR SOLICITING THE MURDER OF EX-GIRLFRIEND WHILE IN CUSTODY FOR FORCIBLY RAPING AND ATTEMPTING TO MURDER HER

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 4:35 am

SANTA ANA - A man was sentenced today to 31 years to life in state prison for soliciting the murder of his ex-girlfriend and requesting the murder be videotaped so that he could watch it on Christmas. The defendant was in custody for forcibly raping the same victim and then attempting to murder her while out on bail for the rape. Mark Alan Jarosik, 46, formerly of Ladera Ranch, was found guilty by a jury Oct. 25, 2012, of two felony counts of forcible rape, one felony count each of solicitation to commit murder, and attempted murder with premeditation and deliberation, two misdemeanor counts of attempting to disobey a court order, two misdemeanor counts of violating a protective order, and sentencing enhancements for great bodily injury inflicted during domestic violence and crime-bail-crime. The enhancement for “crime-bail-crime” is when a defendant commits a felony while out of custody on bail for another felony.

Sexual Assault Case
On May 15, 2009, Jarosik went to the Ladera Ranch home of his ex-girlfriend, 41-year-old Jane Doe, with the permission of the victim to use her computer. The defendant and the victim had broken up approximately one month prior after living together and dating for several years. Jane Doe left for dinner with friends and returned at approximately 9:00 p.m. Jarosik got into a verbal argument with the victim, who thought the defendant was trying to spy on her by driving past the restaurant where she had been having dinner. Jarosik escalated the verbal argument into a physical attack and forcibly raped and attempted to sodomize the victim.

On May 16, 2009, Jane Doe told a friend about the rape and reported it to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department later that night. The Orange County District Attorney’s Office filed rape charges on May 18, 2009.

On May 19, 2009, Jarosik appeared in court for an arraignment. Bail was set for the defendant at $100,000, the pre-determined bail based on the charges. Jarosik did not enter a plea and a continued arraignment date was set for June 5, 2009, to allow for the Orange County Public Defender’s Office to assign an attorney to represent him.  A protective order was issued at that time requiring Jarosik to stay more than 200 yards from Jane Doe at all times and to have no contact with the victim directly or through a third party.

(more…)

MAN CONVICTED OF CONSPIRACY IN REVENGE-MURDER AND ATTEMPTED MURDER OF FAMILY WHOSE BODIES WERE BURNED AND HOUSE SET ON FIRE

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 4:32 am

*A co-defendant was sentenced to life in prison without parole and a third co-defendant is pending trial

SANTA ANA - A man was convicted today for his role in a revenge-murder and attempted murder conspiracy targeting the family of a co-defendant’s ex-girlfriend. Two victims were murdered and set on fire and a third was left in a coma after suffering life-threatening injuries. Charles Anthony Murphy, Jr., 28, Mission Hills, was found guilty by a jury of two felony counts of special circumstances murder, one felony count of attempted murder, and one felony count of conspiracy to commit murder. He faces sentencing enhancements for multiple murders, murder during the commission of kidnapping, and murder for financial gain. This was Murphy’s third re-trial, as a previous jury was unable to reach a verdict and the second re-trial was declared a mistrial. He faces a maximum sentence of life in state prison without the possibility of parole at his sentencing Jan. 4, 2012, at 9:00 a.m., in Department C-41, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana.

Co-defendant Vitaliy Krasnoperov, 27, Hollywood, was found guilty by a jury in a re-trial Dec. 15, 2011, of two felony counts of special circumstances murder, one felony count of attempted murder, and one felony count of conspiracy to commit murder. The sentencing enhancements for multiple murders, murder during the commission of a burglary, and murder during the commission of kidnapping were found true. He was sentenced Nov. 9, 2012, to life in state prison without the possibility of parole.

Co-defendant Iftekhar Murtaza, 28, Van Nuys, faces the same charges and enhancements as Murphy with an additional sentencing enhancement for murder during the commission of a burglary. The Orange County District Attorney is seeking the death penalty against Murtaza, who is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing Dec. 14, 2012, in Department C-41.

Background
In March 2007, 18-year-old Shayona Dhanak was a freshman at the University of California, Irvine, living in the campus dorms. Her father Jaypraykash Dhanak, 56, mother Leela Dhanak, 54, and sister Karishma Dhanak, 20, lived in the family home in Anaheim Hills.

(more…)

November 14, 2012

Reputed Female Gang Member Charged with Murder Outside Church

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 9:35 pm

LOS ANGELES – A reputed female gang member was charged today with murder, attempted murder and vandalism for her role in a Nov. 4 fatal shooting outside a Westlake district church, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Janeth Lopez, 22 (dob 4-2-90), was allegedly spray-painting red graffiti on the walls of the Iglesia de Paz church when two church members emerged and tried to stop her, officials said.

A suspected male gang member got out of his car and opened fire, killing 25-year-old Andres Ordonez and wounding a second male church member. A third man was fired at, but not hit. The shooting occurred at 3001 West Beverly Blvd. about 6:30 p.m.

Deputy District Attorney Phillip Glaviano, assistant head deputy of the Hardcore Gang Division, said Lopez is charged with one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder and one misdemeanor count of vandalism in case No. BA404685. The complaint includes gun and gang allegations.

Lopez allegedly hopped in the waiting vehicle with the suspected male shooter and both fled.

Los Angeles Police Department continues to investigate the shooting.

Lopez is scheduled to be arraigned sometime this afternoon at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center, Department 30. Prosecutors will ask bail be set at $2.5 million.

If convicted, she faces up to life in prison.

November 9, 2012

Suspected Arsonist Charged with Capital Murder

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 6:21 am

PASADENA – A man suspected of starting a deadly fire that killed two men in a residence in Pasadena was charged today with two counts of capital murder and 15 counts of attempted murder, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Garth Allen Robbins, 49 (dob 4-5-63), was charged in case GA088055 with 19 felony counts, including two counts of special circumstance murder, 15 counts of attempted, willful premeditated murder, arson causing great bodily injury and arson of an inhabited structure.

Because prosecutors filed special circumstances of arson murder and multiple murders, Robbins will be held without bail. Prosecutors will decide later whether to seek the death penalty.

Deputy District Attorney Renee Rose with the Target Crimes Unit has been assigned to prosecute the case.

The Nov. 1 fire at 1385 El Sereno Ave. broke out about 2:30 a.m., killing residents Clif Juan Clark, 56, and Paul Richard Boyd, 75, both residents of the house. A third victim remains hospitalized.

Authorities said there were 19 people living at the three-story structure at the time of the fire.

The complaint alleges the arson was caused by use of a device designed to accelerate the fire.

Robbins is scheduled to be arraigned sometime after 1:30 p.m. at Pasadena Superior Court, Department D.

November 6, 2012

Inglewood Man Charged with Halloween Shooting on USC Campus

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 7:00 pm

LOS ANGELES – Los Angeles County prosecutors today charged a 20-year-old Inglewood man with four counts of attempted murder after he allegedly opened fire at a Halloween party on the USC campus.

Brandon Spencer, (dob 11-3-92), is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center, Department 30, in case BA404363. The complaint alleges Spencer opened fire on four people, including former Crenshaw High School football star Geno Hall, to benefit a criminal street gang.

Authorities said gunfire broke out at an Oct. 31 party sponsored by the Black Student Assembly and attended by about several hundred. In addition to Hall, three other people suffered wounds.

Deputy District Attorney Antonella Nistorescu of the Hardcore Gang Division has been assigned to prosecute the case. She will ask bail be set at $2.04 million.

If convicted, he’s facing up to life in prison.

October 26, 2012

Attempted Murder, Arson Charges Filed in Firebomb Attack

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 2:00 pm

LONG BEACH – A 27-year-old Long Beach man was charged today with one count of attempted murder and five other felony counts for allegedly throwing a Molotov cocktail at a man and setting him on fire, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Jacob Timothy Lagarde (DOB 02/10/85) is expected to be arraigned in Department J of the Long Beach Courthouse this afternoon, said Deputy District Attorney Jodi Castano of the Long Beach Branch Office. Lagarde is charged in case No. NA093763.

In addition to attempted murder, Lagarde is charged with one count of explosion with intent to murder, one count of explosion causing mayhem or great bodily injury and three arson counts, according to the complaint. The complaint also alleges that Lagarde personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon and that he personally inflicted great bodily injury upon the victim.

The complaint states that since 2003 Lagarde has four prior felony convictions, including robbery, grand theft and drug offenses. Lagarde faces a sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole if convicted of attempted murder.

The alleged attack occurred shortly before 7 p.m. on Oct. 19, outside a market on the 200 block of West Pacific Coast Highway in Long Beach. The victim, a 54-year-old man, suffered burns to his hands and face and from the waist down.

Lagarde was arrested by Long Beach police earlier this week. Prosecutors recommended that bail be set at $1.2 million.

October 24, 2012

MAN FACES TRIAL FOR MACHETE ATTACK IN CONSPIRACY TO MURDER CO-DEFENDANT’S HUSBAND

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 5:36 pm

SANTA ANA - A man faces trial Monday for conspiracy to commit murder and attacking his co-defendant’s husband with a machete. Antonio Cinco Ortega, 26, Santa Ana, is charged with one felony count of attempted murder, one felony count of conspiracy to commit murder, one felony count of mayhem, and sentencing enhancements for great bodily injury and the personal use of a deadly weapon. If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of life in state prison. Opening statements are expected to begin Monday, Oct. 22, 2012, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-30, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana.

Ortega’s friend, Michael Calvin Shores II, 41, Fountain Valley, and Shores’ lover Mary Katheryn Sharpski, 49, Fountain Valley, are both charged with one felony count of attempted murder, one felony count of conspiracy to commit murder, one felony count of mayhem, and a sentencing enhancement for great bodily injury. If convicted, they each face a maximum sentence of life in state prison. They are scheduled for a pre-trial trial setting conference Oct. 19, 2012, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-30.

This is a re-trial of the case against Ortega, as a previous jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict regarding the three defendants in a 2011 trial.

At the time of the crime, Frank and Mary Sharpski were married with three children. Mary Sharpski is accused of having an affair with Shores, a tenant in her family’s home for approximately one year. Mary Sharpski is accused of planning to murder her husband in order to live with Shores and her three children as a family.

(more…)

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress