Best Defender Bytes:

January 31, 2013

Actor Pleas, Sentenced in Domestic Violence Case

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , — fayarfa @ 8:28 pm

BEVERLY HILLS – Actor Lane Garrison was ordered today to undergo 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling and Alcoholic Anonymous meetings as part of three years probation on his plea of no contest to misdemeanor battery on a former girlfriend last year.

Deputy District Attorney Joy Sumabat-Graff said Garrison, 32, also must perform eight hours of community service and pay $400 to the Domestic Violence Fund. Although sentenced to 74 days in jail, Garrison was given credit for the time that already was served, the prosecutor said.

Beverly Hills Superior Court Judge Elden S. Fox also issued an order that Garrison stay away from the victim.

Garrison was arrested by Beverly Hills police on April 22, 2012, a day after he was accused of hitting the former girlfriend as the two were getting off an elevator in an apartment building in the 300 block of North Palm Drive. When witnesses approached, Garrison fled, authorities said.

The defendant, who had been convicted of vehicle manslaughter in 2007, was on parole at the time of the incident.

The single misdemeanor charge was filed by the District Attorney’s Office on April 26, 2012.

January 23, 2013

Five Charged in Clothing Store Robbery

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 5:37 am

LOS ANGELES – Five people were charged today with last week’s violent armed robbery at a Westchester clothing store where 14 employees were held hostage, including two who were assaulted, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center, Department 30, are Troy Marsay Hammock, 29 (dob 11-26-83); Everett Oneal Allen, 24 (dob 5-11-88); Rochelle Monique Sherman, 33 (dob 6-17-79); and Paula Roneshia Bradley, 29 (dob 2-1-83). They are charged in case BA 406798.

Prosecutors also charged Raymond Sherman Jr., 34 (dob 6-29-78), who was arrested in Arizona and is awaiting extradition. He was charged in the same complaint with two counts of forcible rape, one count of oral copulation, one count of kidnapping for rape, one count of assault with a deadly weapon and 14 counts of second-degree robbery. The complaint also alleges that Sherman personally used a handgun.

Hammock and Allen are charged with 14 counts each of second-degree robbery and one count each of assault with a deadly weapon, a knife.

The two female defendants are charged with one count each of accessory after the fact.

Deputy District Attorneys Frank Santoro with the Major Crimes Division and Darci Lanphere with Sex Crimes Division are prosecuting the case.

The armed robbery at the clothing store at Promenade at Howard Hughes Center was reported about 11 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 10. During the robbery, one female employee was stabbed while a second female was forced into a separate room where she was sexually assaulted. LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division arrested the suspects Friday and Saturday.

January 15, 2013

Leader of Azusa Street Gang Involved in Drug Trafficking and Hate Crimes Targeting African-Americans Sentenced to Nearly 20 Years

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 7:46 pm

LOS ANGELES – A “keyholder” who oversaw the criminal activities of the Azusa 13 street gang and its long-running plot to violate the civil rights of African-Americans in the City of Azusa was sentenced late this afternoon to 235 months in federal prison

Santiago Rios, also known as “Chico,” 48, was sentenced this afternoon by United States District Judge Gary A. Feess.

Rios was the lead defendant in a federal racketeering indictment that targeted the Azusa 13 criminal enterprise. In June 2011, a federal grand jury returned a 24-count indictment that charged a total of 51 defendants with a host of crimes, including conspiracy to violate the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and conspiracy to violate the civil rights of African-Americans. Rios, who was the keyholder – or ultimate leader – of the gang in 2008 and 2009, pleaded guilty in May 2012 to both conspiracy charges.

“The sentencing of the gang’s ‘keyholder’ is another giant step forward for the residents of an area who lived for too long under the specter of gang violence and racial animosity,” said United States Attorney André Birotte Jr. “Together with the Azusa Police Department and our partners in federal law enforcement, we took action to protect the civil rights of all the residents of Asuza, and we will continue to aggressively defend those rights, and those residents, from harm.”
(more…)

January 14, 2013

Man Sent to Prison for Father’s Death, Brother’s Injury in Family Dispute

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 7:37 pm

LOS ANGELES – A 27-year-old Sylmar man who pleaded to manslaughter and attempted manslaughter in the death of his father and injury of his brother in 2011 was sentenced to state prison today.

Deputy District Attorney June Chung said Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Clifford L. Klein sentenced Martin Casares Martinez to 11 years and six months in state prison in exchange for the defendant’s no contest pleas last month.

On June 7, 2011, Martinez argued with two of his brothers at the family home in Sylmar. He later drove a vehicle at one of his brothers, hitting him and their father. The father, Francisco, was killed. The brother, Luis, suffered fractures to both legs.

The defendant was arrested by Los Angeles police the next day and a case was filed against him on June 10, 2011, by the District Attorney’s Family Violence Division. He has remained in custody since that time.

Early last month, Martinez pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter and attempted voluntary manslaughter with great bodily injury and use of a deadly weapon – the car.

MAN SENTENCED TO 25 YEARS TO LIFE IN PRISON FOR MACHETE ATTACK IN CONSPIRACYTO MURDER CO-DEFENDANT’S HUSBAND

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 7:35 pm

SANTA ANA - A man was sentenced today to 25 years to life in state prison for conspiracy to commit murder and attacking his co-defendant’s husband with a machete. Antonio Cinco Ortega, 26, Santa Ana, was found guilty by a jury in a re-trial on Nov. 1, 2012, of one felony count of attempted murder with premeditation and deliberation, one felony count of conspiracy to commit murder, and one felony count of mayhem. The sentencing enhancements for great bodily injury and the personal use of a deadly weapon were found true.

Ortega’s friend, Michael Calvin Shores II, 42, Fountain Valley, and Shores’ lover Mary Katheryn Sharpski, 50, Fountain Valley, are both charged with one felony count of attempted murder, one felony count of conspiracy to commit murder, one felony count of mayhem, and a sentencing enhancement for great bodily injury. If convicted, they each face a maximum sentence of life in state prison. They are scheduled for a pre-trial trial setting conference April 12, 2013, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-30, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana.

At the time of the crime, Frank and Mary Sharpski were married with three children. Mary Sharpski is accused of having an affair with Shores, a tenant in her family’s home for several months. Mary Sharpski is accused of planning to murder her husband in order to live with Shores and her three children as a family.

Mary Sharpski and Shores are accused of meeting and conspiring with Ortega, a good friend of Shores. Mary Sharpski is accused of agreeing to pay Ortega to murder her husband and providing him with information on the victim’s daily route.

In the early morning of March 3, 2009, Ortega attacked Frank Sharpski in an alley outside of the victim’s home with a machete. Ortega fractured the victim’s skull, severed a thumb and fingers, partly severed his nose, caused several machete wounds, and left him to die.

When Fountain Valley Police Department (FVPD) officers responded at 5:50 a.m. to the scene, they found Frank Sharpski on the ground near the carports bleeding severely and semi-conscious. He was transported to the hospital, where he narrowly survived after undergoing several surgeries.

November 8, 2012

Three Juveniles Face Criminal Allegations in High School Soccer Team Hazing

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , , — fayarfa @ 6:27 am

POMONA – Three teenage boys accused of sexually attacking students as part of a soccer team hazing at La Puente High School were charged today in juvenile criminal petitions filed by the District Attorney’s Office.

The three are scheduled to appear for arraignment in Pomona Juvenile Court on Nov. 19. Because they are minors, their names will not be made public.

Two minors (dobs 10/17/95 and 1/14/95) each are charged in separate 10-count petitions with one felony count of sexual penetration with a foreign object, one felony count of assault with a deadly weapon, four misdemeanor counts of sexual battery and four misdemeanor counts of hazing. They are charged in petitions KJ37732 and KJ37733.

A third (dob 6/6/96) is charged in a six-count petition with one felony
count of sexual penetration with a foreign object, one felony count of assault with a deadly weapon, two misdemeanor counts of hazing and two misdemeanor counts of sexual battery. He is charged in petition No. KJ37734.

The sexual penetration and assault with a deadly weapon counts and one of the sexual battery counts in the three petitions apply to one victim. A second victim also is mentioned in a single sexual battery count in the three petitions. Two additional sexual battery victims are cited in the 10-count petitions.

The juveniles were taken into custody last month but released to the
custody of their parents. The case was investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Special Victims Bureau.

October 16, 2012

Man Pleads Guilty in Santa Clarita Valley Crime Spree

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 5:00 pm

SAN FERNANDO – A 31-year-old Chatsworth man pleaded guilty today to multiple felony charges including assault, carjacking, assault on a peace officer and kidnapping in connection with a string of crimes that started with the stabbing of his mother in December 2010.

San Fernando Superior Court Judge David Gelfound found the defendant, Aaron Clay Tanner, to be insane when the crimes were committed. The judge is expected formally commit the defendant to a state mental hospital on Nov. 9. Tanner’s sentence will be 40 years and eight months, said Deputy District Attorney Richard Quinones, who prosecuted the case.

Tanner was charged on Dec. 21, 2010, in connection with the crime spree that started on the 14 Freeway near Sylmar and continued on into the Santa Clarita Valley.

The first incident was the non-fatal stabbing of Tanner’s mother, who was pushed from the car. Other incidents included crashing into vehicles, carjacking and crashing a mini SUV with a then 4-year-old child inside. Tanner abandoned his car and fled in the mini SUV with the child inside. He left the boy’s mother behind.

The child, the mother and several Sheriff’s deputies were treated for injuries following the melee. Tanner admitted great bodily injury allegations in four of the 14 charges to which he pleaded guilty.

The defendant, arrested by Sheriff’s deputies after a chase, has remained in custody since his arrest on Dec. 17, 2010.

October 10, 2012

GANG MEMBER CHARGED WITH ATTACKING YOUNG BOY ON HIS WAY TO SOCCER PRACTICE ON SANTA ANA PARK TRAIL

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , — fayarfa @ 4:01 pm

SANTA ANA - A gang member has been charged with attacking a 10-year-old boy who was on his way to soccer practice by grabbing him on a park trail and smelling the victim’s arm. Victor Joseph Espinoza, 55, Santa Ana, has been charged with one felony count each of false imprisonment and street terrorism with sentencing enhancements for committing a crime for the benefit of a criminal street gang and a prior strike conviction for street terrorism in 2007. If convicted, Espinoza faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison. The People will be requesting that the defendant be held on $250,000 bail at his arraignment today, Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012, at 10:00 a.m. in Department CJ-1, Central Jail, Santa Ana.

At approximately 7:20 pm on Oct. 7, 2012, 10-year-old John Doe and his 19-year-old female cousin were walking near to John Doe’s soccer practice on a bike trail by Delhi Park in Santa Ana. Espinoza is accused of approaching John Doe and asking the victim whether he wanted to see Espinoza’s gang tattoo. Espinoza is accused of claiming his gang, then grabbing and smelling the victim’s arm.

The victim’s cousin screamed for the defendant to let John Doe go. The victim broke free, ran to the soccer field with his cousin, and told his soccer coach what had happened. His coach ran down the bike trail looking for the assailant.

The defendant is accused of being tackled by the soccer coach, escaping, and hiding under a tree in the backyard of a nearby house. Espinoza is accused of being located by Santa Ana Police Department officers, who investigated this case.

September 27, 2012

Man Gets Potential Life Prison Term in Stabbing Attack

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , — fayarfa @ 3:15 am

SAN FERNANDO – A 52-year-old man was sentenced to 26 years to life plus 10 years in state prison today for the stabbing attack on his girlfriend last year.

Deputy District Attorney Laura Knight Jackson said Francisco Solis was convicted by a jury in June of one count each of assault with a deadly weapon, mayhem and burglary in connection with the July 2011 attack on the woman after breaking into her home in Sylmar. The victim, who survived, was stabbed multiple times with a screwdriver.

San Fernando Superior Court Judge Delila Corral Lyons sentenced Solis, who was arrested shortly after the attack and has remained in custody. The victim was not named in the felony criminal complaint filed by the District Attorney’s Office against Solis on Aug. 2, 2011.

August 31, 2012

Attorney General Kamala D. Harris Announces Sentencing of Kern Valley Health District Hospital Administrator

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , — fayarfa @ 3:37 pm

BAKERSFIELD — Attorney General Kamala D. Harris today announced the sentencing of the former hospital administrator of Kern Valley Health District, a rare case in which a hospital administrator is being held criminally responsible for conduct by a lower-ranked employee.

Pamela Ott, former hospital administrator of the Kern Valley Health District, pled no contest to one felony count of conspiracy to commit an act injurious to the public health based on her failure to adequately supervise the Director of Nursing. During Ott’s tenure as administrator, Director of Nursing Gwen Hughes administered psychotropic medications to 23 elderly residents in order to chemically restrain them for staff convenience. Three patients died.

“Ott neglected her responsibility to monitor the practices of her employees and, in doing so, she endangered the health and well-being of vulnerable residents,” Attorney General Harris said. “California has strong laws to prevent elder abuse and we will enforce them so we can protect the most vulnerable among us.”

Ott was sentenced to three years formal probation, 300 hours of volunteer service, restitution pending conclusion of civil lawsuits. She is required to comply with all orders from the Registered Nursing Board, which is conducting its own investigation into the matter.

(more…)

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress