Best Defender Bytes:

February 3, 2017

Man Gets Six Years in Jail for Secretly Recording Women in Restrooms

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A Lancaster man has been sentenced to six years in jail for secretly recording women at restaurant bathrooms in Palmdale and Lancaster, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced today.

Jesus Calvario, 22, pleaded no contest yesterday to 18 misdemeanor counts: 14 counts of unauthorized invasion of privacy, three counts of unauthorized invasion of privacy of an identifiable person and one count of possession of methamphetamine.

Deputy District Attorney Yujin Yi said Calvario also was placed on three years of summary probation and ordered to complete one year of sexual compulsion control classes.

The prosecutor said Calvario went into a Denny’s restaurant in Lancaster and a Mi Ranchito restaurant in Palmdale between Oct. 21 and Nov. 15, 2016, entered the women’s restrooms and hid in the stalls. Calvario would then record women from the bathroom stall or leave a device behind secretly recording them, the prosecutor added.

(more…)

February 2, 2017

San Fernando Valley Man Who Served Nearly 8 Years for Investment Scam Sentenced to Another 6 Months for Violating Terms of Release

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

LOS ANGELES – A convicted con man who defrauded a North Carolina man out of more than $8.7 million and was sentenced to nine years in federal prison has been sentenced to another six months in prison for violating the terms of his supervised release by traveling to Africa without permission in relation to another possible fraud scheme.

Thomas Mitchell Johnson, 62, was sentenced Monday afternoon to six months in federal prison, which will be followed by two years of supervised release. Johnson lives in Sherman Oaks, and he resided in Burbank prior to being convicted and sentenced in 2008.

The sentencing follows Johnson’s admission late last year that he violated the terms of his supervised released – a three-year period of court supervision that followed his prison term – by traveling to the Ivory Coast without permission from the court or his probation officer.

On July 25, 2015 – only 10 days after being released from federal prison in the fraud case – Johnson sought a court order to allow him to travel to the Ivory Coast. Johnson claimed he had an opportunity to work as a consultant on a cashew and almond processing plant with the government of the Ivory Coast, and that the government of the West African nation had agreed to pay his travel and living expenses. This request was denied by the court.

(more…)

Man Sentenced For Triple Murder in Pasadena

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

A 47-year-old man was sentenced today to 181 years to life in state prison for murdering three people and trying to kill another during a 2014 shooting rampage in Pasadena, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

John Izeal Smith pleaded guilty in December to two counts of first-degree murder and one count each of second-degree murder, attempted murder and assault with an assault weapon on a peace officer. Deputy.

District Attorneys Garrett Dameron and Geoff Lewin of the Crimes Against Peace Officers Section prosecuted the case.

On July 12, 2014, Smith got into a domestic altercation with 59-year-old Maria Aguiar, grabbed an assault rifle and opened fire. Aguiar was killed along with her elderly father, Luis Aguiar. Smith then turned the weapon on neighbors, killing Jose Hernandez Iribe.

Smith barricaded himself inside a home in the 1700 block of North Summit Avenue and called police. He shot at multiple people, including a Pasadena police officer, but nobody was wounded.

(more…)

Man Charged with Double-Murder at Chinatown Social Club

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A 35-year-old man was charged today with the special circumstance murders of two men at a social club in Chinatown, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Vinh Dao (dob 2/5/80) faces two counts of murder with the special circumstance allegation of multiple murders and an allegation of using a knife as a deadly weapon.

Case BA454112 includes the allegation that Dao also was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in 2002.

Arraignment is scheduled this afternoon in Department 30 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center

On Jan. 26, Dao allegedly entered the Hop Sing Tong Benevolent Association and began arguing with Tony Young, 64, before stabbing him to death, prosecutors said. The defendant is charged with then fatally stabbing Kim Kong Yon, 64, when he allegedly attempted to help the first victim, prosecutors added.

(more…)

February 1, 2017

California Man Pleads Guilty to Illegally Importing Chinese Cigarettes

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

A Los Angeles, California man pleaded guilty yesterday to illegally engaging in the business of importing tobacco products, announced Acting Deputy Assistant Attorney General Stuart M. Goldberg of the Justice Department’s Tax Division and U.S. Attorney Eileen M. Decker for the Central District of California.

Zhi Xiong Chen, 56, of Chinatown, admitted that for nearly five years, despite not holding a permit to import tobacco products, he used several addresses to receive 15,128 cartons of Chinese-brand cigarettes. During this time, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers also stopped approximately 9,824 cartons of Chinese-brand cigarettes at international mail facilities in California and New York.

As part of the scheme, Chen admitted that he attempted to evade paying more than $467,000 in federal and state excise taxes on the cigarettes that he illegally imported.

“While Zhi Xiong Chen was illegally importing tens of thousands of cartons of cigarettes into the United States, he was also evading hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes due on those cigarettes,” said Acting Deputy Assistant Attorney General Goldberg. “Importers who obtain the required permits and pay their fair share of taxes deserve to compete on a level playing field. Those who try to cut corners and skirt these legal obligations should know that they will be investigated and prosecuted.”

(more…)

COURT OF APPEAL REVERSES TRIAL JUDGE’S ILLEGAL SENTENCE OF MAN WHO SODOMIZED TODDLER

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District, Division One reversed a trial judge’s illegal 10 year sentence for a man who sodomized a toddler and ordered the judge to impose the mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years to life in state prison and mandatory lifetime sex offender registration. Kevin Jonas Rojano-Nieto, 21, was found guilty by a jury on Dec. 3, 2014 of one felony count of sexual intercourse or sodomy with a child 10 years or younger and one felony count of lewd acts upon a child under 14. His resentencing date is to be determined.

“The Orange County District Attorney’s Office applauds the decision by the Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District, Division One, which recognizes that the Legislature’s mandated punishment of 25 years to life for committing sodomy on a toddler is a constitutionally valid sentence designed to protect the most vulnerable victims in our community,” Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas stated. “This was a good day for child victims of brutal sex assaults and the People of Orange County.”

Circumstances of the Case

On June 4, 2014, Rojano-Nieto was in a garage detached from a Santa Ana house playing video games when 3-year-old Jane Doe walked in. Rojano-Nieto became sexually aroused upon seeing her, locked the garage door, then sexually assaulted Jane Doe by sodomizing her. When Jane Doe’s mother went to look for the victim and approached the garage door, the defendant covered Jane Doe’s mouth. When the victim’s mother left to continue looking for Jane Doe, Rojano-Nieto continued the sexual assault by using his hand to force Jane Doe to touch his penis and masturbate him.

Once Rojano-Nieto let the victim out of the garage, Jane Doe met her mother inside the house and told her she was in pain. That same day, Jane Doe’s mother took the victim to St. Joseph’s Urgent Care in Santa Ana, who upon examining the toddler found physical injuries consistent with the assault, including lacerations on her anus. Hospital officials then involved social services and the Santa Ana Police Department, who investigated this case.

(more…)

Guilty Plea in Case Involving Illegal Importation of Chinese Cigarettes

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

LOS ANGELES – A Los Angeles man has pleaded guilty to illegally engaging in the business of importing tobacco products.

Zhi Xiong Chen, 56, of Chinatown, pleaded guilty yesterday to the felony offense and admitted that for nearly five years, despite not holding a permit to import tobacco products, he used several addresses to receive 15,128 cartons of Chinese-brand cigarettes. During this time, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers also stopped approximately 9,824 cartons of Chinese-brand cigarettes at international mail facilities in California and New York.

As part of the scheme, Chen admitted that he attempted to evade paying more than $467,000 in federal and state excise taxes on the cigarettes that he illegally imported.

“From early 2011 until mid-2016, this defendant illegally imported thousands of cartons of Chinese-made cigarettes without the necessary permits and without paying excise taxes,” said United States Attorney Eileen M. Decker. “The defendant’s crime not only cheated taxpayers, but also caused unregulated, potentially dangerous products to be sold to an unsuspecting public.”

(more…)

January 31, 2017

MAN TO FACE TRIAL FOR SHOOTING-MURDER OF SISTER’S BOYFRIEND BEFORE FLEEING TO MEXICO

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 8:45 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man is scheduled to face trial on Monday for the shooting-murder of his sister’s boyfriend before fleeing to Mexico. Adan Rodriguez Leon, 34, Santa Ana, was charged on April 13, 2015, with one felony count of murder and a sentencing enhancement for personal discharge of a firearm causing death. If convicted, Leon faces a maximum sentence of 52 years to life in state prison. The defendant is being held on $5 million bail, and opening statements are scheduled to begin Monday, Jan. 30, 2017, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-44, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana.

At approximately 2:30 p.m. on April 8, 2015, Leon is accused of going to the home of his sister’s boyfriend, 39-year-old Paul Guzman, in Santa Ana. The defendant is accused of contacting Guzman and walking down the sidewalk with him. Leon is accused of pulling out a loaded firearm, shooting the victim multiple times, and fleeing the scene.

The Santa Ana Police Department (SAPD) was contacted and began investigating this case. SAPD obtained an arrest warrant for the defendant within hours after the shooting. On April 10, 2015, authorities in Mexico detained the defendant on the warrant. SAPD took custody of the defendant on April 12, 2015.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Keith Burke of the Homicide Unit is prosecuting this case

Orange County District Attorney / Case # 15CF0763 / January 27, 2017

North Hollywood Man Sentenced for Red Line Subway Murder

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 8:44 am

A 27-year-old man was sentenced today to 26 years to life in state prison for stabbing a man to death on the Red Line subway train three years ago, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Attorney Jacob Yim said Angelo Correa of North Hollywood was found guilty on Jan. 19 of one count of first-degree murder with a knife-use allegation.

According to witness testimony, Correa had been belligerent toward passengers before exchanging words with José Velasco, 33, at about 9:20 a.m. on Jan. 13, 2014, while the train was stopped at the Vermont/Santa Monica station.

The defendant and Velasco briefly looked at each other before Correa pulled out a folding knife and stabbed the victim in the neck, killing him, according to trial testimony.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department investigated the case.

Los Angeles County District Attorney / January 30, 2017

Bus Driver Sentenced to Prison for Student’s Death in Whittier

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 8:42 am

A 37-year-old man was sentenced today to two years in state prison for leaving a special needs student in a parked bus for hours, which led to the student’s death, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

On Jan. 6, Armando Abel Ramirez of Rialto pleaded guilty to one felony count of dependent adult abuse resulting in death in case VA141515.

Deputy District Attorney Michael DeRose of the Victim Impact Program, who prosecuted the case, said in the afternoon of Sept. 11, 2015, police were dispatched to a bus yard in Whittier where they found special needs student Hun Jun “Paul” Lee laying on the floor of a parked bus.

All of the windows in the bus were closed and the temperature that day was near 96 degrees Fahrenheit. Paramedics were called, but Lee, 19, was pronounced dead at the scene, the prosecutor said.

Law enforcement immediately began an investigation into Lee’s death and learned the Sierra Adult School student could not verbally communicate and needed special care.

Additionally, police discovered on the day of the incident, Ramirez was a substitute driver for Lee’s bus. Ramirez also was working a split shift, according to the prosecutor.

(more…)

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress