Best Defender Bytes:

July 19, 2017

Crips Gangster Sentenced to 30 Years in Federal Prison after Being Convicted in Racketeering and Crack Cocaine Conspiracies

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

LOS ANGELES – A member of the Five Deuce Broadway Gangster Crips (BGC) – who was found guilty by a jury last year of conspiring to engage in racketeering activities, which included him selling crack cocaine on Skid Row – has been sentenced to 360 months in federal prison.

Tony Gordon, also known as “Wodi,” 36, of Freeport, Illinois, who has a lengthy criminal history that includes three prior felony narcotics convictions, was sentenced yesterday by United States District Judge S. James Otero.

Gordon was convicted late last year of conspiring to violate the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act. Members of conspiracy engaged in murders, robberies, witness and informant intimidation, and narcotics sales. The jury further convicted Gordon of agreeing to distribute approximately 10 ounces of crack cocaine, as well as marijuana.

Gordon “was also a long time crack cocaine seller who preyed on the most vulnerable of the most vulnerable,” prosecutors wrote in sentencing papers filed with the court. Gordon “purposely traveled from his own neighborhood to infiltrate the Skid Row area of downtown, despite its own dangers, where, as established at trial, defendant sold directly adjacent to substance abuse recovery centers and mental health centers. Defendant purposefully and thoughtfully capitalized on these individuals’ most debilitating vice.”

During the trial, prosecutors presented evidence of Gordon’s membership in BGC and in the “Gremlin Riderz,” the gang’s violent “hit squad.” The jury saw videos of Gordon at gang meetings providing guidance on how the gang should operate, at one point bragging that he solved problems “the best way I can” – through “violence.” Other videos showed Gordon describing shooting at gang rivals, recounting a home invasion robbery, and discussing how to discipline gang “snitches.”

(more…)

Head of Rehab Program Charged with Murder of Patient

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A man who operates an alcohol live-in program has been charged with the death of a man who was under the rehab’s care last year, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Jason Aviles (dob 3/20/91) of Long Beach faces one count of murder in case BA458474.

Aviles is scheduled to be arraigned today in Department 30 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center. The case was filed for warrant on June 22.

Victim José Sandoval, 60, checked into the Grupo Renacer rehab facility on Aug. 11, 2016, prosecutors said. On Aug. 15, 2016, the defendant, who has no professional medical training, allegedly blocked Sandoval’s airway using a spoon and tape and stood on the agitated victim’s chest, prosecutors added.

Sandoval died of asphyxia, prosecutors said.

(more…)

July 18, 2017

MAN SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT PAROLE IN PRISON FOR STABBING-MURDER OF 17-YEAR-OLD GIRL IN YORBA LINDA

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was sentenced today to life in state prison without the possibility of parole for stabbing and murdering a 17-year-old girl in Yorba Linda.

Defendant Charges Sentence
Larry Soo Shin, 38, Yorba Linda, Found guilty by a jury on June 1, 2017, of one felony count of:

  • Murder

Special Circumstance Found True:

  • Lying in wait
Life in state prison without the possibility of parole

Circumstances of the Case

(more…)

Pair Sentenced to LWOP for West Covina Robbery

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

Two men were sentenced today to life in state prison without the possibility of parole for killing a Hong Kong resident during an organized robbery, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

On July 10, a jury found Michael Quiroga Castiblanco (dob 5/27/92) and Juan Alejandro Cortez (dob 11/18/88) each guilty of two felony counts in case KA104924: first-degree murder and second-degree robbery.

Jurors also found true a special circumstance allegation that the murder was carried out during the commission of a robbery. Additionally, jurors found true a special allegation that a principal was armed with a firearm during the crime.

Deputy District Attorneys Michael Matoba and Rosalba Gutierrez co-prosecuted the case.

On Feb. 1, 2013, Sheron Khemlani, 29, and his 32-year-old brother, who were residents of Hong Kong, traveled to the Jewelry District in downtown Los Angeles to conduct business, prosecutors said.

(more…)

Man Convicted of South Pasadena Murder in 2009

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A 41-year-old man was convicted today of fatally shooting his friend in the head before eluding police for months, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

The jury deliberated for a little over two hours before finding Juan Carlos Perez (dob 4/4/76) of Los Angeles guilty of first-degree murder in case GA078620. Jurors also found true a special allegation that the defendant personally and intentionally discharged a firearm, which caused great bodily injury and death.

Perez is scheduled to be sentenced August 11 in Department T of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Alhambra Branch. He faces a possible maximum sentence of 50 years to life in state prison.

Deputy District Attorney Kevin Keeland, who prosecuted the case, said Perez and victim Noe Martinez, 35, were at a bar with each other before the fatal shooting.

In the early morning of Nov. 21, 2009, a South Pasadena police officer was patrolling the 1000 block of Arroyo Drive when he saw a white Toyota Corolla with fogged up windows parked on the side of the road, the prosecutor said.

(more…)

July 17, 2017

Former Compton Deputy Treasurer Admits $3.7 Million Embezzlement

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

SANTA ANA, California – The former deputy treasurer for the City of Compton pleaded guilty yesterday to federal charges stemming from his theft of more than $3.7 million of city funds.

Salvador Galvan, 47, of La Mirada, pleaded guilty to one count of theft from an organization receiving federal funds, a felony offense that carries a statutory maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison.

Galvan pleaded guilty before United States District Judge Josephine L. Staton, who scheduled a sentencing hearing for November 3, 2017.

When he pleaded guilty, Galvan admitted that he stole $3,721,924 from the City of Compton from May 2010 through December 2016

Galvan, who worked in the Compton Treasurer’s Office for more than 20 years, was responsible for tallying the cash received by the city as payment for parking tickets, business licenses and other fees. After the cash was counted, Galvan prepared the money for deposit into a city bank account.

(more…)

FORMER FUGITIVE SENTENCED TO 35 YEARS TO LIFE IN STATE PRISON FOR 1992 COLD CASE MURDER OF 19-YEAR-OLD WOMAN

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man who was extradited to Orange County from Mexico was sentenced today to 35 years to life in state prison for murdering a 19-year-old woman in 1992.

Defendant Charges Sentence
Leonardo Pimentel Sanchez, 59, Mexico City, Mexico Found guilty by a jury on May 22, 2017, of one felony count of:

  • First Degree Murder

Sentencing Enhancements

  • Two prior felony convictions for a 1978 robbery and a 1984 rape and digital penetration in Orange County
35 years to life in state prison

Circumstances of the Case

(more…)

PAROLED MURDERER SENTENCED TO 44 YEARS IN PRISON FOR ARMED ROBBERY AND INITIATING POLICE PURSUIT FOUR MONTHS AFTER RELEASE FROM PRISON

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A paroled murderer was sentenced to 44 years and four months in state prison today for committing armed robbery and initiating a police pursuit only four months after his release from prison.

Defendant Charges Sentence
Chandler Emile Graham, 54, Los Angeles Found guilty by a jury on May 5, 2017 of felony:

  • (4) Second degree robbery
  • Assault with a firearm
  • Evading while driving recklessly
  • Unlawful taking of a vehicle
  • Possession of a firearm by a felon

Sentencing enhancement found true

  • Personal use of a firearm

Prior conviction

  • Second degree murder in 1995 in Orange County
44 years and four months in state prison

“Chandler Graham is a classic example of why the Orange County District Attorney’s Office (OCDA) opposes the early release of convicted felons and dedicates so much time, effort, and energy into keeping lifers behind bars,” said District Attorney Tony Rackauckas. “We hope that the Board of Parole and the Governor consider the lessons learned from this case. Within months of the Board of Parole approving his early release, Graham was back to committing crimes and endangering lives. OCDA will continue to support public safety by fighting to keep criminals in jail,” said Rackauckas.

Parole

(more…)

July 14, 2017

How to Spot Signs of Elder Abuse

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 10:52 am

Having worked in care homes for well over a decade and rising to become a hospice manager, I have seen the best and the worst of care for older adults. Our seniors rely on us to look after them in their times of need, but some people fail them. And the worst, abuse. It is important, when visiting your loved ones, to try and spot any signs of abuse, including:

(more…)

As Part of National Health Care Fraud Takedown, Federal Prosecutors in Los Angeles Charge 14 Defendants in Fraud Schemes that Allegedly Cost Public Healthcare Programs nearly $150 Million

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

LOS ANGELES – In the largest-ever health care fraud enforcement action by federal prosecutors, 14 defendants – including doctors, nurses and other licensed medical professionals – have been charged in the Central District of California for allegedly participating in health care fraud schemes that caused approximately $147 million in losses.

The defendants charged locally are among hundreds of people charged across the United States in cases that cumulatively allege approximately $1.3 billion in false billings. The nationwide sweep includes charges against more than 120 defendants – some of whom are doctors – who allegedly prescribed and distributed opioids and other dangerous narcotics.

In the Central District of California, 14 defendants were charged for their roles in schemes to defraud health insurance programs such as Medicare. The cases allege health care fraud and kickback schemes involving compounded drugs, home health services, physical therapy, acupuncture, Medicare Part D prescription drugs, diagnostic sleep studies and hospice care.

“Health care fraud schemes such as these threaten the vital trust between a patient and his or her health care provider, undermine the integrity of our health care system, and cost all Americans billions of dollars,” said Acting United States Attorney Sandra R. Brown. “Today’s announcement serves as a clear warning that we will continue to work with our law enforcement partners to identify and hold accountable health care professionals who commit these crimes.”

(more…)

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress