Best Defender Bytes:

January 3, 2014

Man Arraigned For Alleged Birthday Party Stabbing

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:30 am

A Sylmar man ordered to stand trial for the stabbing death of a 19-year-old man at a house party was arraigned today, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

David Gage Silva, 21 (dob 4/19/92), pleaded not guilty to one count of murder with an allegation that he personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon, a knife.

The defendant, charged in case PA075013, is scheduled to return for a pretrial hearing on Feb. 3 in Department N of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, San Fernando Branch.

Silva was held to answer on Dec. 17 following a two-day preliminary hearing.

The alleged stabbing occurred at a birthday party on Oct. 28, 2012, in the 13300 block of Sayre Street in Sylmar. The victim, Anthony Hernandez, was at the party as a friend of an invited guest. The defendant also had been invited to attend the celebration.

(more…)

Men Arraigned in Asphyxiation Death, Arson

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:25 am

Two men accused of strangling a man, then setting him ablaze were arraigned yesterday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office announced.

Adrian Berumen, 18 (dob 06/21/1995), of Long Beach, and Jose Angel Martinez, 18 (dob 01/09/1995), of Compton, pleaded not guilty to one count each of murder and arson with allegations that the defendants personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon, a mini baseball bat.

The two men, charged in case NA095527, are being held on more than $1 million bail. They are expected to appear on Jan. 31 for a pre-trial hearing in Department 19 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Long Beach Branch.

Deputy District Attorney Julian Recana said that on April 23, 2013, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a call regarding a fire at a basketball court in Rancho Palos Verdes.

(more…)

Murder Charge Filed in Death of Man Found In His Apartment

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:24 am

Prosecutors filed one count of murder today against a man alleged to have beaten to death a Koreatown resident in his apartment, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Roy Lee Adams, 66 (dob 7/18/47), pleaded not guilty today at the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Foltz Criminal Justice Center. He is due back in court on Jan. 10, 2014, for a preliminary hearing setting in Department 37.

The complaint, case BA419765, includes an allegation that the defendant personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon, a blunt object.

The charging document also includes seven prior felony convictions stemming from Los Angeles County which include various drug related charges, attempted escape from prison, and carrying a loaded unregistered handgun.

(more…)

January 2, 2014

Former Long Beach Police Officer, Relative Charged with Conspiracy in Gang Case

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 8:22 pm

A former Long Beach Police officer and a relative who is a reputed gang member will be arraigned Jan. 3, 2014, on conspiracy after she allegedly provided information to the relative to help the BIG gang in Long Beach, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced today.

Former Long Beach police officer Yvonne Robinson (dob 5-13-71) and Prentice Jones (dob 1-13-89), who is the brother of Robinson’s brother-in-law, were charged in case BA418953 with one felony count each of conspiracy to obstruct justice with a gang allegation. They are scheduled to be arraigned Friday at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center, Department 30.

Deputy District Attorney Arisa Mattson with the Justice System Integrity Division is prosecuting the case.

Mattson said that while Robinson was employed as a Long Beach police officer, she allegedly conspired with Jones, an active member of the Baby Insane Gang (BIG), to obstruct several investigations, including a murder investigation involving BIG members.

(more…)

Man Charged in Murder of Stepfather on Christmas Day

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 8:18 pm

A Watts man who reportedly stabbed his stepfather to death on Christmas day is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon, the Los Angeles County District Attorney announced.

Rudy Flores, 22 (dob 11/12/91), is charged with one count of murder and one count of making criminal threats.

The complaint further alleges that the defendant personally used a deadly or dangerous weapon, a knife.

Flores is expected to appear for arraignment in Department 12 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Compton Branch. He is charged in case TA131365.

(more…)

December 31, 2013

DRUNKEN, SPEEDING DRIVER CHARGED WITH MURDERING SLEEPING MAN BY CRASHING INTO VICTIM’S HOUSE WITH CAR

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 3:10 am

SANTA ANA – A drunken, speeding driver has been charged with murdering a sleeping man by crashing into the victim’s bedroom with his car. Kourosh Keshmiri, 27, Mission Viejo, is charged with one felony count of murder and faces a maximum sentence of 15 years to life in state prison if convicted. He is being held on $1 million bail and is expected to be arraigned tomorrow, Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013, in Department CJ-1, Central Jail, Santa Ana. The time is to be determined.

Keshmiri is charged in a separate case (Case #13HM07953) from June 2013 with one misdemeanor count each of driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol with a prior, driving with a blood alcohol level of .08 percent or more with a prior,  and sentencing enhancements and allegations for having a blood alcohol over .15 percent and having a prior DUI conviction from 2010. He faces a pre-trial hearing Jan. 23, 2014, in Department H-7, Harbor Justice Center, Newport Beach, in this case.

At approximately 4:00 a.m. on Dec. 29, 2013, Keshmiri is accused of speeding over 50 mph in a 25 mph residential neighborhood in Mission Viejo. He is accused of losing control of his car and crashing into a home, driving into the front bedroom where 60-year-old victim Kenneth Jackson was sleeping in his bed.

When Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) deputies arrived, the defendant is accused of displaying objective signs of intoxication and performed poorly on a field sobriety test.

The victim died as a result of his injuries.

(more…)

Man Accused of Killing, Burying Girlfriend Charged with Murder

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 3:06 am

A 22-year-old Compton man who allegedly killed his live-in girlfriend and buried her body in his backyard is expected to be arraigned this afternoon, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Devion Keith Anderson (dob 7/10/1991) is charged with one count of murder with a special allegation that the was committed willfully, deliberately and with premeditation.

He is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon in Department 12 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Compton Branch. Anderson is charged in case TA131363.

Deputy District Attorney Jodi Link, who filed the case, said that on the evening of Dec. 23, deputies received a 911 call from a family member at Anderson’s home. Authorities were told the defendant may have killed and buried his girlfriend, an 18-year-old woman.

(more…)

Eastern California Real Estate Investor Pleads Guilty to Bid Rigging and Fraud at Public Real Estate Foreclosure Auctions

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 2:10 am

An Eastern California real estate investor pleaded guilty today to conspiring to rig bids and commit mail fraud at public real estate foreclosure auctions in Eastern California, the Department of Justice announced.

Anthony B. Joachim of Stockton, Calif., entered his guilty plea in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California in Sacramento.  Joachim was originally indicted by a federal grand jury in Sacramento on Dec. 7, 2011, along with three other investors – Andrew B. Katakis, Donald M. Parker and Wiley C. Chandler – and one auctioneer – W. Theodore Longley. All five individuals were charged with conspiring with other unnamed co-conspirators to rig bids and commit mail fraud when purchasing selected properties at public real estate foreclosure auctions in San Joaquin County, Calif.  The indictment was superseded on May 8, 2013, to include an obstruction of justice charge against Katakis.  Chandler pleaded guilty on Feb. 24, 2012, and trial is scheduled to begin against the remaining individuals on Jan. 28, 2014.

According to court documents, Joachim conspired with others not to bid against one another and to instead designate a winning bidder to obtain selected properties at public real estate foreclosure auctions in San Joaquin County.  Joachim was also charged with conspiring to use the mail to carry out a scheme to fraudulently acquire title to selected San Joaquin County properties sold at public auctions, to make and receive payoffs and to divert money to co-conspirators that would have otherwise gone to mortgage holders and others by holding second, private auctions open only to members of the conspiracy.  The department said that the selected properties were then awarded to the conspirators who submitted the highest bids in the second, private auctions.  The private auctions often took place at or near the courthouse steps where the public auctions were held.  According to Joachim’s plea agreement, he participated in the conspiracies between about April 2009 until about October 2009.

“Today’s plea is the 11th in the Antitrust Division’s ongoing investigation of bid rigging and fraud involving real estate foreclosure auctions in the Eastern District of California,” said Bill Baer, Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division.  “The division has uncovered similar schemes across the country and continues to prosecute those who profit by undermining competition at real estate foreclosure auctions.”

(more…)

December 30, 2013

Southern California Man Pleads Guilty to Attempting to Assist Al-Qai’da by Providing Weapons Training to Fighters in Pakistan

Filed under: Federal Crimes Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 6:25 am

LOS ANGELES — An Orange County man pleaded guilty this morning to a federal terrorism offense, admitting that he intended to assist al-Qai’da by traveling to Pakistan, where he would provide weapons training to members of the terrorist group.

Sinh Vinh Ngo Nguyen, 24, of Garden Grove, California, pleaded guilty this morning to one count of attempting to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization.

Nguyen, who also used the name Hasan Abu Omar Ghannoum, pleaded guilty this morning before United States District Judge John F. Walter, who is scheduled to sentence the defendant on March 21. At the time of sentencing, Nguyen faces a statutory maximum penalty of 15 years in federal prison.

In a plea agreement filed last Friday in United States District Court, Nguyen admitted that approximately one year ago he travelled to Syria where he joined opposition forces. Using a social network site during a four-month period he was in Syria, Nguyen told people that he was fighting against the Assad regime and that he had had a “confirmed kill.” After he returned to the United States, Nguyen told associates that he had offered to train al-Qai’da forces in Syria, but his offer had been turned down.

(more…)

FORMER MAINTENANCE WORKER AT ASSISTED LIVING SENIOR HOME SENTENCED FOR SEXUALLY ASSAULTING 69-YEAR-OLD DISABLED WOMAN

Filed under: Los Angeles sexual assault attorney — fayarfa @ 6:19 am

FULLERTON – A former maintenance worker at an assisted living senior home was sentenced today for sexually assaulting a 69-year-old disabled woman. David Moreno, 29, Riverside, pleaded guilty Dec. 6, 2013, to one felony count each of sexual battery on an institutionalized victim and sexual penetration by foreign object of an incompetent victim. He was sentenced today to three years in state prison and lifetime sex offender registration.

At the time of the crime, Moreno was employed as a maintenance worker at Emeritus Senior Living in Yorba Linda. Between June 1, 2012, and July 24, 2012, Moreno entered the room of 69-year-old Jane Doe, a resident who was suffering from dementia, and sexually assaulted her. The victim made statements to a close friend indicating she had been assaulted by the defendant. The case was reported to the Brea Police Department (BPD), who investigated this case. BPD found DNA evidence in the victim’s room and was able to link it to Moreno. BPD arrested Moreno on Nov. 5, 2012.

Moreno’s lifetime sex offender registration bars him from entering County recreational areas and City parks which have passed the Sex Offender Ordinance. Visit www.orangecountyda.com to read the prior press releases on the County’s Sex Offender Ordinance as well as the 14 other cities that have enacted the Child Safety Zone Ordinance. The Child Safety Zone Ordinance in Irvine and Fountain Valley does not apply to Moreno because this case involves an adult victim.

Deputy District Attorney Nancy Hayashida of the Sexual Assault Unit prosecuted this case.

Orange County District Attorney / Case # 12NF3543 / December 27, 2013

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress