Best Defender Bytes:

July 22, 2014

Yucca Valley Man Who Worked at Area School Pleads Guilty to Federal Child Pornography Charges

Filed under: California Chid Pornography Attorney — fayarfa @ 3:04 am

RIVERSIDE, California – A school custodian who sexually abused a child over a period of several years and shared visual images of the molestations online pleaded guilty today to federal child pornography charges.

Matthew Frazer, 39, of Yucca Valley, pleaded guilty today to one count of distribution of child pornography and one count of possession of child pornography.

Frazer, who has been in custody since his arrest earlier this year, is scheduled to be sentenced by United States District Judge Virginia A. Phillips on October 6.

Prior to his arrest on January 31, Frazer was employed as a custodian with the Morongo Unified School District. The victim did not attend the schools where Frazer worked.

(more…)

July 21, 2014

MAN SENTENCED TO 15 YEARS TO LIFE FOR SEXUALLY ASSAULTING 13-YEAR-OLD BOY AFTER LURING HIM INSIDE LIBRARY BATHROOM

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

SANTA ANA – A man was sentenced today to 15 years to life in state prison and mandatory lifetime sex offender registration for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old boy after he lured him inside a library bathroom. Robert Howard Claudio, 25, Anaheim Hills, was found guilty by a jury Sept. 5, 2013, of one felony count of kidnapping for child molesting, four felony counts of lewd acts with a minor under 14, and sentencing enhancement allegations for substantial sexual conduct with a child and increasing the risk of harm by kidnapping.

On the afternoon of March 9, 2012, Claudio approached 13-year-old John Doe in the Teen Room of the public library in Tustin while the victim was waiting for his mother to pick him up. Claudio convinced the victim that he was studying to be a social worker and was used to talking to younger boys. Claudio lured John Doe into a library bathroom and molested the victim by engaging in substantial sexual conduct.

John Doe told Claudio to stop and escaped from the bathroom. He ran to the Tustin Police Department (TPD) around the corner and immediately reported the sexual assault. During this same time, Claudio contacted a passing police officer and reported that the victim had solicited him to engage in sex acts. Claudio was arrested immediately.

At the sentencing today, John Doe’s mother submitted a written victim impact statement which was read by the People to the court. She wrote in part, “This has forever changed his and our lives… There isn’t a day that goes by where we are not reminded of that horrible day.”

(more…)

Former Arcadia Police Officer Pleads No Contest to Embezzling Funds From Police Officers’ Association

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A former Arcadia Police Department officer pleaded no contest today to embezzling tens of thousands of dollars from a police association to purchase personal items, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Christian Blesch, 36, entered his plea to one count of grand theft by embezzlement and was scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 30 when he will be ordered to serve 180 days in county jail and placed on probation for three years.

Deputy District Attorney Geoffrey Rendon of the Justice System Integrity Division said Blesch began stealing funds from the Arcadia Police Officers’ Association after being elected as its treasurer in 2011.

Blesch used the association’s credit card to buy parts and accessories for his own motorcycles as well as other personal items such as clothing, exercise equipment and cigars, the prosecutor said. He then paid the monthly credit card bills via the organization’s checking account.

(more…)

Man Charged in Car-to-Car Shooting Death in Hawthorne

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:01 am

A Gardena man was charged today with murder for shooting his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend to death, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Donte Bay McNeil (dob 3/31/92) faces one count of murder with a special circumstance allegation of lying in wait and the special allegation of discharging a firearm and causing death in case SA088057.

McNeil is scheduled to appear at the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Airport Branch, Department 144, this afternoon for an arraignment.

On July 16, the victim Azaam Stallsworth, 31, was driving his girlfriend’s car on South Prairie Avenue in Hawthorne with her in the passenger seat. As they drove near her house through an alley, the defendant drove slowly toward them and both cars stopped side by side, prosecutors said.

(more…)

July 18, 2014

LARGEST US FOOD DISTRIBUTION COMPANY TO PAY NEARLY $20 MILLION IN CONSUMER PROTECTION LAWSUIT FOR HOLDING PERISHABLE FOOD IN UNREFRIGERATED SHEDS

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 4:53 am

SANTA ANA – The nation’s largest food distribution company, Sysco Corporation, will pay nearly $20 million dollars in a consumer protection settlement for illegally holding perishable foods, such as seafood, milk and raw meat, in unrefrigerated, unprotected storage sheds. This is the largest settlement of a food safety prosecution in California history.

This case was investigated by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and prosecuted by The California Food, Drug and Medical Device task force, made up of the District Attorney’s Offices of Orange, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Alameda, Marin, Solano, Napa, Sonoma, Monterey and Shasta Counties. The case was filed in Santa Clara County.

Deputy District Attorney Tracy Hughes of the Consumer Protection Unit prosecuted this case for the Orange County District Attorney.

Circumstances of the Case

Sysco is the largest food distribution company in the nation and among the largest worldwide.

(more…)

TWO MEN AND WOMAN SENTENCED FOR HUMAN TRAFFICKING AND PIMPING MINOR GIRL WHO WAS LURED THROUGH FACEBOOK

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 4:46 am

FULLERTON – Two men and a woman were sentenced today for human trafficking and pimping out a minor girl who was lured through Facebook. Kristian Adway, 19, pleaded guilty today to one felony count each of human trafficking, pimping, and evading while driving recklessly. Adway was sentenced to five years in state prison and mandatory lifetime sex offender registration.

Dejon Pierre Moore, 20, pleaded guilty today to one felony count each of human trafficking, and attempted pandering. Moore was sentenced to 11 years and four months in state prison and mandatory lifetime sex offender registration.

Jennifer Kaye Moeggenberg, 24, pleaded guilty today to one felony count of pandering. Moeggenberg was sentenced to three years in state prison.

Circumstances of the Case

Moore contacted 17-year-old Jane Doe on Facebook and maintained a long distance relationship with the victim. On Sept. 21, 2013, Moore drove to Los Angeles to pick up Jane Doe after she rode a train to meet him. Moore then met up with Adway and drove together with Jane Doe to Orange County. Moore used force and fear to induce Jane Doe to work for him and engage in commercial sex. Moeggenberg set rules for the victim and how to behave around sex purchasers.

Moore, Adway, and Moeggenberg, took sexually suggestive photos of the victim and posted advertisements of Jane Doe on websites known for prostitution. Moore collected the money Jane Doe made from performing illegal sex acts and gave some of the earnings to Adway. Moore hit and threatened the victim when she expressed desire to stop providing illegal sex services.

At approximately 2:30 p.m. on Sept. 26, 2013, Adway drove Moore, Moeggenberg, and Jane Doe to Anaheim. Adway refused to stop his vehicle for an Anaheim Police Department (APD) officer who was performing a routine traffic stop. Adway sped approximately 60 miles per hour and turned into a crowded parking lot. Adway left his vehicle and attempted to flee from the officer on foot. Moeggenberg had several outstanding warrants and provided false information about her identity to an officer. The defendants were arrested by APD. (more…)

Pair Sentenced in Failed 2008 Restaurant Takeover Robbery

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 4:42 am

A convicted felon with a lengthy record was sentenced today to 620 years to life in prison for a series of violent takeover robberies around Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office announced.

Deputy District Attorney Jack Garden with the Crimes Against Peace Officers Section, who prosecuted the case, said Alonzo Harris, 54, “was extremely violent.”

Last September, Harris was convicted of 37 counts, including 14 takeover robberies at stores and markets over a nine-month period beginning in October 2007. Garden said Harris used a gun in every incident. On several occasions, he pistol-whipped the victims. In one instance, he sexually assaulted a female worker during a Dec. 23, 2007, takeover robbery at a grocery store.

(more…)

LAPD Officer Charged with Assaulting a Man Outside a Staples Center Restaurant

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

An LAPD officer was arraigned today on charges that he used excessive force while detaining a man standing outside a restaurant near the Staples Center in 2012, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Jonathan Lai (dob 9/28/83) pleaded not guilty to one count each of assault by a police officer and assault with a deadly weapon in case BA427067. His bail was set at $35,000.

Deputy District Attorney Gretchen Ford with the Justice System Integrity Division is prosecuting the case.

While on routine patrol on April 15, 2012, Lai and his partner approached a man standing alone outside a restaurant near the Staples Center. The restaurant’s security video allegedly shows Lai repeatedly using his police baton to strike the man who was on his knees with his hands on his head.

Lai returns to court on Aug. 21 at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center, Department 30, to set a date for his preliminary hearing. If convicted, Lai faces up to four years in state prison.

(more…)

July 17, 2014

Three Indicted in Insurance Fraud Scheme Involving More Than $50 Million Worth of Unneeded Medical Procedures

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 2:24 am

SANTA ANA, California – A federal grand jury today indicted three Southern California residents in a scheme to defraud health insurance programs by submitting bills for more than $50 million in medically unnecessary medical procedures performed on insurance beneficiaries who received free or discounted cosmetic surgery.

The indictment outlines a scheme in which marketers or cappers lured patients to a surgery center in Orange known at various times as Empire Surgical Center, Vista Surgical Center and Princess Cosmetic Surgery. The marketers told patients that they could use their union or PPO health insurance plans to pay for cosmetic surgeries, which are generally not covered by insurance.

When patients came to the surgery center for a consultation, they were told that they could receive free or discounted cosmetic surgeries if they underwent multiple, medically unnecessary procedures that would be billed to their union or PPO health care benefit program, the indictment alleges. The unnecessary procedures typically performed on the “patients” were endoscopies (usually esophagogastroduodenoscopies, or EGDs), colonoscopies and cystoscopies. Once the health care benefit program paid the claims, the patients were given free or discounted cosmetic surgeries, including “tummy tucks,” breast augmentations, rhinoplasties (“nose jobs”) and liposuction. Further, according to the indictment, tummy tucks were billed as hernia repair surgeries, and rhinoplasties were billed as deviated septum repair surgeries.

The three defendants charged in today’s indictment are:

(more…)

ARMY SOLDIER TO FACE TRAIL FOR MURDER OF FRIEND AND ATTEMPTED MURDER OF FATHER AND ANOTHER MAN IN HOTEL SHOOTING

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

SANTA ANA – An Army Specialist faces a jury trial today for murdering a friend and attempting to murder his father and another man in an unprovoked shooting at a Cypress hotel. Steven Matthew LeClaire Jr., 26, is charged with one felony count of murder, two felony counts of attempted murder, and sentencing enhancements for the personal discharge of a firearm causing death and the personal discharge of a firearm causing great bodily injury. If convicted, he faces a minimum sentence of 90 years to life in state prison. Opening statements are scheduled to begin this morning, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-30, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana.

In February 2011, LeClaire Jr. was stationed in Texas.

At approximately 9:30 p.m. on Feb. 24, 2011, LeClaire Jr. is accused of being in a hotel room drinking and socializing with three other men at the Cypress Lodge on Lincoln Avenue. The other men included the victim’s father, Steven LeClaire Sr., then 42, and friends Marques Murray, 24, and Raymond Eligan, then 51.

The defendant is accused of pulling out a firearm, pointing it at the three men, and firing the weapon multiple times. LeClaire Jr. is accused of murdering Murray by shooting him in the arm and chest. He is accused of attempting to murder his father by shooting him several times. He is accused of attempting to murder Eligan by shooting him in the legs as the victim attempted to escape into the bathroom. LeClaire Sr. and Eligan survived the attack

(more…)

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress