Best Defender Bytes:

November 24, 2014

Woman Found Guilty of Murdering 90-Year-Old Father in Bellflower

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

A woman was found guilty today of second-degree murder for killing her 90-year-old father six years ago in Bellflower, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Jurors deliberated for three days before determining that Linda Sue Copeland, 62, was guilty of murdering Ralph Stofleth. Copeland faces up to 15 years to life in prison when she’s scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 9 in Department G of the Los Angeles County Superior Court in Norwalk.

Stofleth is believed to have been killed sometime between Feb. 1 and Feb. 8, 2008. His body, covered with sheets and cardboard, was found three months later partially buried near a shed in the backyard of a home where Copeland lived with her father. Neighbors had called authorities to express concern because they had not seen Stofleth for three months.

Deputy District Attorney Tina Hooks of the Elder Abuse Section said evidence presented at trial showed Copeland continued to collect her father’s retirement benefits even after he was killed.

(more…)

Sex Offender Charged with Assaults in Long Beach

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A 19-year-old man accused of assaulting three women over several months in Long Beach pleaded not guilty yesterday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Miguel Avila (dob 4/28/95) of Long Beach has been charged with four felonies: three counts of assault with intent to commit a felony and one count of failure to register as a sex offender in case NA100784.

The charging document includes a special allegation that the defendant was previously convicted of sexual battery by restraint in March 2014 for which he was sentenced to state prison.

Deputy District Attorney Lee Ashley Cernok, who is prosecuting the case, said Avila reportedly assaulted three different women over a four-month span.

(more…)

November 21, 2014

San Fernando Valley Doctor Resolves Lawsuit That Alleged Fraudulent And Improper Pain Management Billing Practices

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

SANTA ANA, California – A doctor who operates a pain management clinic in Valencia has agreed to pay $1.2 million to resolve allegations that he submitted fraudulent bills and received improper payments from federal and state health insurance programs.

In a case partially unsealed today, Dr. Narinder S. Grewal, of Chatsworth, and his pain clinic, the Santa Clarita Surgery Center for Advanced Pain Management agreed to pay $1,087,176.09 to the United States and $112,823.91 to the State of California.

The settlement concludes a federal “whistleblower” lawsuit filed by Chandana Basu, who used to provide billing and collection services to the Grewal’s clinic.

Basu’s lawsuit alleged that Grewal and his clinic obtained improper reimbursements from government-run health insurance programs, including Medicare, Medi-Cal and Tricare, a federal health insurance program for military and related military personnel. The lawsuit alleged that Grewal and his clinic submitted fraudulent claims by “upcoding” medical services, which means that he allegedly submitted bills that were not justified by the services that were actually provided.

(more…)

Eleven Northern California Real Estate Investors Indicted for Bid Rigging and Fraud at Public Foreclosure Auctions

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

A federal grand jury in San Francisco returned three multi-count indictments against eleven real estate investors for their role in bid rigging and fraud schemes at foreclosure auctions in Northern California, the Department of Justice announced.

The indictments, filed late yesterday in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in Oakland, California, charge Northern California real estate investors Michael Marr; Javier Sanchez; Gregory Casorso; Victor Marr; John Shiells; Miguel De Sanz; Alvin Florida Jr.; Robert A. Rasheed; John L. Berry III; Refugio Diaz; and Stephan A. Florida with participating in conspiracies to rig bids and schemes to defraud mortgage holders and others.  The indictments allege that the defendants agreed not to compete at public auctions in return for payoffs and diverted money to themselves and others that should have gone to mortgage holders and other beneficiaries.  All defendants were charged with bid rigging and fraud in Alameda County, California.  Marr, Sanchez, Shiells, and De Sanz were also charged with bid rigging and fraud in Contra Costa County, California.  Additionally, Shiells and De Sanz were charged with bid rigging and fraud in San Francisco County, California.

To date, 47 individuals have pleaded guilty to criminal charges as a result of the department’s ongoing antitrust investigations into bid rigging and fraud at public foreclosure auctions in Northern California.  On Oct. 22, 2014, a federal grand jury in San Francisco returned an eight-count indictment against five additional real estate investors for their role in bid rigging and fraud schemes at foreclosure auctions in San Mateo and San Francisco Counties, California.

“Collusion at the foreclosure auctions created an unfair playing field where conspirators pocketed illegal payoffs at the expense of lenders and distressed homeowners,” said Brent Snyder, Deputy Assistant Attorney for the Antitrust Division’s criminal enforcement program.  “The division will continue to investigate and prosecute local cartels that harm the competitive process.”

(more…)

Man Receives Multiple Life Sentences for 2010 West Hollywood Triple Murder

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A 35-year-old man was sentenced today to three consecutive terms of life in state prison without the possibility of parole for killing three men in West Hollywood during a failed drug deal, the Los Angeles County District’s Attorney Office announced.

On Sept. 29, Harold Yong Park was found guilty in a non-jury trial of three counts each of first-degree murder and first-degree residential robbery in case SA075285.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Mark Windham also found Park guilty of one count each of first-degree residential burglary, person present and transportation for sale of marijuana.

Special circumstance allegations of multiple murders, murder during a robbery, murder during a burglary also were found true. Additionally, use of gun allegations were found to be true.

(more…)

November 20, 2014

Two Enter No Contest Pleas for Fatal Hit-and-Run of Pedestrian in Wheelchair

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 3:34 am

A man and a woman pleaded no contest today to felony charges related to the hit-and-run crash that claimed the life of a Pacoima man in a wheelchair, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Attorney Christopher Stogel said Tatiana Cacho, 25, pleaded no contest to one count of hit-and-run driving resulting in death in case PA082176.

Christian Salvador Olvera, 23, entered a no contest plea to one count of accessory after the fact.

Sentencing is scheduled Dec. 12 in Department H of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, San Fernando Branch.

Cacho faces two years in state prison and Olvera faces 16 months in county jail at the sentencing hearing.

(more…)

Trio Sentenced to Life in Prison for String of Robberies

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 3:25 am

Three men convicted of multiple felonies from a crime spree in 2012 were sentenced yesterday to life in state prison, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Attorney Carol Rose, who prosecuted the case, said Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Tomson T. Ong sentenced Jarrod Williams, 30, to six life sentences in prison, plus 27 years.

The defendant was convicted by a jury on Sept. 22 of 14 counts of robbery, six counts of kidnapping for robbery, two counts of kidnapping and two counts of false imprisonment in case BA414878.

Williams’ codefendant, James Wilson, 32, was sentenced yesterday to four life terms in prison, plus 20 years and four months. He was found guilty by the same jury of nine counts of robbery, four counts of kidnapping for robbery, two counts of kidnapping and one count of false imprisonment.

(more…)

Man Charged with Killing Brother in Compton

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 3:21 am

A 44-year-old man was charged today with fatally shooting his brother in their mother’s backyard, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Dion Landry (dob 1/21/70) of Carson has been charged with one count of murder in case TA135861.

The charging document also includes a special allegation that the defendant personally and intentionally discharged a handgun, which caused great bodily injury and death.

Landry is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon at the Los Angeles County Superior Court in Compton in Department 12. Prosecutors will recommend that the defendant’s bail be set at $2 million.

Prosecutors said on Nov. 16, Landry got into an argument with his younger brother, Davion Branch, 25, at their mother’s Compton home.

(more…)

November 19, 2014

Two Inland Empire Men Plead Guilty In String Of ATM Robberies

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 3:34 am

RIVERSIDE, California – Two men responsible for a series of ATM robberies in which they used power tools and a truck to forcibly open safes inside drive-up ATMs at facilities operated by JP Morgan Chase Bank have pleaded guilty to participating in a conspiracy that stole nearly a half million dollars.

David Joseph Silva Jr., 25, of Fontana, pleaded guilty today to conspiracy to commit bank larceny, a charge that carries a statutory maximum penalty of five years in federal prison.

Silva pleaded guilty before United States District Judge Jesus G. Bernal, who scheduled a sentencing hearing for February 23.

Last Monday, James William Costilow, 38, of Riverside, pleaded guilty to the same conspiracy charge. Judge Bernal scheduled Costilow’s sentencing hearing for February 9.

During their guilty pleas, Silva and Costilow admitted that they attempted to break into Chase Bank ATMs in three counties 15 times over a six-month period. The pair successfully got into the safes inside ATMs on four occasions and conspired to steal approximately $462,093 in cash. In some of the thefts, the pair stole the entire ATM device, while in later attempts they used power saws or a “jaws of life” device to gain access to the safe inside the ATMs.

(more…)

MAN TO BE ARRAIGNED FOR STABBING-MURDER OF HIS MOTHER’S BOYFRIEND OUTSIDE OF RESIDENCE IN ANAHEIM

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 3:25 am

SANTA ANA – A man is scheduled to be arraigned today for stabbing and murdering his mother’s boyfriend outside of a residence in Anaheim. Ruben Martinez, 27, Anaheim, is being charged with one felony count of murder with a sentencing enhancement for the personal use of a deadly weapon. It is alleged that the defendant has a 2009 prior strike conviction for carjacking, as well as a 2008 prior conviction for the unlawful taking of a vehicle in Riverside County, for which he served a prison term. If convicted, Martinez faces a maximum sentence of 52 yearsto life in state prison. The People will be requesting he be held on $1 million bail at his arraignment today in Department CJ-1, Central Jail, Santa Ana. The time is to be determined.

At approximately 8:00 p.m. on Nov. 16, 2014, Martinez is accused of stabbing 52-year-old Maximino F. multiple times in the torso region while they were outside a home in a neighborhood in unincorporated Anaheim. Maximino F. was the boyfriend of the defendant’s mother. The crime was reported to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) who arrived to the scene and discovered the victim’s body on a street near the home. The victim died as a result of his injuries. OCSD arrested the defendant at the scene.

OCSD investigated this case. The investigation in this case is ongoing and no further information will be released at this time.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Keith Burke of the Homicide Unit is prosecuting this case.

Orange County District Attorney / Case # 14NF4890 / November 18, 2014

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress