Best Defender Bytes:

March 24, 2017

Daytime-Emmy Winner Sentenced for Attempted Murder of Tenant

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

An Emmy-winning television producer was sentenced yesterday to 13 years in state prison for stabbing his Studio City tenant, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Attorney Elan S. Carr said that Andre Salamán Bautista, aka Andre Bauth, 38, was found guilty by a judge on Feb. 2 of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Gregory Dohi also found true allegations that he used a knife and caused great bodily injury.

On Sept. 8, 2015, Bautista got into an argument with one of his tenants in a boarding house he operated. The argument began when the boarder laughed after the defendant said he would someday win five Academy Awards.

According to witness testimony, in a rage, Bautista stormed out of the bedroom in which he and the victim were arguing, retrieved a knife from the kitchen, and pursued the victim into another bedroom where he stabbed his tenant in the chest, piercing a lung.

(more…)

March 23, 2017

Los Angeles Man Convicted in Tax Fraud Scheme that Sought over $800,000 in Refunds for ‘Employees’ of Bogus Companies

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

SANTA ANA, California – A Los Angeles man who participated in a scheme that filed fraudulent tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service seeking more than $800,000 in refunds was found guilty today of federal charges.

Julien Jitt Noel, 36, who lived in Placentia while he participated in the scheme, was convicted this morning of one count of conspiracy to defraud the United States and five counts of aiding and assisting in the preparation of false and fraudulent tax returns. After a five-day trial, a jury in United States District Court deliberated for approximately one hour before finding Noel guilty.

The evidence presented at trial showed that, starting in late 2008 or early 2009, Noel and two co-conspirators prepared and filed fraudulent tax returns, most of which were filed in the names of individuals whose identities had been stolen.

The fraudulent tax returns indicated that the taxpayers were employed by a shell company called Picaso Fashions, a business that did not employ the taxpayers and never had any employees. The tax returns indicated that Picaso Fashions had excessively withheld income tax for each taxpayer, and each fraudulently filed tax return sought a tax refund the taxpayer was not entitled to receive.

Members of the conspiracy filed 69 false individual federal tax returns during 2009 that claimed tax refunds totaling $621,589.

(more…)

Father and Son Indicted on Federal Conspiracy Charges that Allege They Steal Cash from the U.S. Postal Service

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

Update:

LOS ANGELES – A father and son from Adelanto are scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon on federal charges related to a string of thefts from moving mail trucks and the robbery of a United States Postal Service facility in Victorville. Kory Kreshon Parker Sr., 46, and Kory Kreshon Parker Jr., 23, are expected to enter pleas to a two-count indictment that was returned by a federal grand jury on March 15. Both Parkers are charged with conspiracy and robbery of United States property. Each of the two counts carries a five-year statutory maximum sentence.

Original Release (March 6):

Federal Case Charges San Bernardino County Father and Son in Conspiracy to Steal Cash from the U.S. Postal Service

RIVERSIDE, California – A father and son have been arrested and charged in federal court in connection with a robbery late last week at a United States Postal Service facility in Victorville.

According to court documents filed on Friday, the father and son – Kory Kreshon Parker Sr., 46, and Kory Kreshon Parker Jr., 23, both of Adelanto – also are suspects in a series of Postal truck robberies across Southern California that has caused more than $400,000 in losses.

The Parkers were charged Friday in a criminal complaint filed in United States District Court. The complaint charges both men with conspiracy to rob the Victorville Post Office on Thursday night.

(more…)

Diamond Bar Man Pleads Guilty to Smuggling ED Drugs that Were Sold as ‘Herbal Enhancement’ Products without Prescriptions

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

LOS ANGELES – A Diamond Bar man who illegally imported the active ingredients used in erectile dysfunction drugs such as Viagra and Cialis and repackaged the drugs for sale as herbal sexual enhancement products pleaded guilty today to federal charges.

Joseph Jinn, also known as Tzong Hwan Jinn, 60, pleaded guilty this afternoon to one count of conspiring to bring the drugs into the United States by means of false statements.

In a plea agreement filed in United States District Court, Jinn admitted being part of a scheme that imported Tadalafil, Sildenafil and Dapoxetine – the active ingredients in pharmaceutical medications such as Viagra and Cialis – with false claims to customs officials that the multi-kilogram shipments were “cooked powder and tools,” “Chinese bread baking mixture,” and other innocuous materials. U.S. Customs and Border Protection intercepted some of the shipments, which had a cumulative value of nearly $550,000.

But some of the illegally imported drugs entered the United States. Jinn admitted in court that he and his co-conspirators repackaged and sold the drugs as an “herbal supplement sexual enhancer.” The products were sold without the necessary prescriptions required by regulations enforced by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which had previously warned Jinn’s company that it was engaged in illegal sales.

According to the plea agreement, the FDA “issued public warnings regarding these sexual supplements because they contain ingredients that can interact with other drugs in dangerous ways and may lower blood pressure to unsafe levels.”

(more…)

March 22, 2017

More than 30 arrested in Orange County drug raid

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

Fathers and sons. Husbands and wives.

Police and prosecutors on Thursday described two interlaced drug conspiracies and their suppliers, tied together by business and blood. The task force of agencies led by state police and the Orange County District Attorney’s Office announced “Operation Family Ties,” a nine-month investigation that culminated Monday with 34 arrests and 16 search warrants executed in Newburgh, New Windsor, Port Jervis, the Town of Plattekill in Ulster County and in the Bronx.

Police say they seized a total of 521.5 grams of cocaine, 43.91 grams of heroin, 8.21 pounds of marijuana, five ounces of PCP, $111,056 in cash, a stolen .45 caliber pistol, and a 12-gauge shotgun.

“These are drugs that never made it to the streets,” said state police Maj. David Krause.

Three suspects are still at large. One of them, 39-year-old Jermaine Boykin of Newburgh, should be considered armed and dangerous, Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler said.

Krause and Hoovler laid out the workings of the conspiracies.

(more…)

Former Ontario police officer admits to having sex with minor

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

RANCHO CUCAMONGA >> A former Ontario police officer pleaded guilty in January to having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl he met while on duty.

“Tyler Stone pled guilty to unlawful sex with a minor, which does not require registration as a sex offender as a sanction under the Penal Code,” San Bernardino County District Attorney’s spokesman Christopher Lee said.

According to court records, Stone, who was 30 years old at the time of his 2015 arrest, was sentenced to three years probation and was ordered to serve 270 days in county jail.

Stone was still a police officer with the department when the allegations first surfaced, but on Dec. 22, 2015, he resigned.

Investigators learned Stone met the girl while he was on patrol and later developed a sexual relationship with her. The two reportedly had sex at unidentified places in Ontario and at Stone’s Rancho Cucamonga home.

(more…)

Former Attorney and U.S. Marine Sentenced to 40 Years in Prison in Vallejo Kidnapping

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Matthew Muller, 39, of South Lake Tahoe, was sentenced today to 40 years in prison by U.S. District Judge Troy L. Nunley, United States Attorney Phillip A. Talbert announced.

According to court documents, between 3:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. on March 23, 2015, in Vallejo, Muller broke into the Mare Island home of Aaron Quinn and Denise Huskins. Armed with a stun gun and a simulated firearm with a laser sight, Muller ordered the victims to lie still while he bound them, blindfolded them, and forced them to drink a sedative. Muller played the victims a prerecorded message, which threatened that any noncompliance would be punished by face cutting or electric shock. Muller then placed Ms. Huskins in the trunk of a car and drove her to his residence in South Lake Tahoe. Once there, Muller kept her under his complete control, at times bound and blindfolded. Muller sent Mr. Quinn two emails demanding ransom for a total of $17,000. Muller released Ms. Huskins on March 25, 2015 in Huntington Beach, with no ransom ever being paid.

During and after the kidnapping, Muller sent emails to a reporter in San Francisco that falsely claimed, among other things, that the kidnapping had been carried out by a group of elite criminals who were perfecting their kidnapping-for-ransom tactics.

The case remained unsolved until after June 8, 2015, when Dublin Police Services of the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department arrested Muller and searched his South Lake Tahoe residence. The officers had been investigating a home invasion burglary, which led them to Muller’s residence where they located and seized evidence related to the Vallejo kidnapping.

(more…)

March 21, 2017

MAN SENTENCED TO 12 YEARS IN PRISON FOR USING SOCIAL MEDIA TO CONTACT MINORS TO COMMIT LEWD ACTS

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was sentenced to 12 years in state prison today for contacting underage victims through social media with the intent of committing lewd acts. Michael Theodore Mordaunt, 47, Cypress, pleaded guilty on Feb. 9, 2017, to 19 felony counts of contacting a child with the intent to commit a specified crime,five felony counts of lewd acts upon a child age 14 or 15,two felony counts of lewd acts upon a child under 14, three felony counts of meeting a minor with the intent to engage in lewd conduct, one felony count of possession and control of child pornography, and a sentencing enhancement allegation for substantial sexual conduct with a child. In addition to prison, Mordaunt was also sentenced to mandatory lifetime sex offender registration.

At the time of the crime, Mordaunt was working in the Information Technology Department of the Boeing Company in Seal Beach.

Between Feb. 25, 2009, and Jan. 15, 2014, Mordaunt created several Myspace and Facebook accounts using the image of a young teenage boy who is surfing. He contacted minor girls, primarily between the ages of 12 and 16 years old, with the intent to commit lewd acts on the victims. He contacted minor Jane Does using these social networking websites as well as through text messages and phone calls. Mordaunt had sexually explicit conversations and attempted to meet with the victims. The defendant requested and received sexually explicit pictures from several victims.

On multiple occasions, Mordaunt committed lewd acts on multiple Jane Does.

(more…)

WOMAN CHARGED WITH ANIMAL ABUSE FOR ILLEGALLY SELLING PUPPIES SUFFERING FROM VIRUSES AND PARASITES THROUGH FAKE RESCUE ORGANIZATION

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – A woman was charged with animal abuse today for illegally selling puppies that were suffering from viruses and parasites through a fake rescue organization. Megan Ann Hoechstetter, 42, Cypress, is charged with 20 misdemeanor counts of keeping an animal without proper care and two misdemeanor counts of animal abuse by a caretaker. If convicted, the defendant faces a maximum sentence of 12 years in county jail. Hoechstetter is scheduled to be arraigned on April 28, 2017, in Department H-8, Harbor Justice Center, Newport Beach.

Hoechstetter, who has previously used names Megan Ann Nunez and Megan Ann Choate, ran a business called Pawlosophy, which she falsely represented as an animal rescue. The defendant is accused of charging approximately $400 for each 8-week-old dog. Hoechstetter is accused of advertising and selling the puppies without seeking veterinary care.

Between March 21, 2014, and March 1, 2017, Hoechstetter is accused of abusing and failing to care for over 100 puppies. The defendant is accused of knowing the dogs suffered from viral and parasitic infections including parvovirus, coccidia, and giardia, and failing to disclose the illnesses to dog purchasers. Approximately 30 puppies died or had to be euthanized soon after they were adopted, and most of them suffered from severe diarrhea.

On Jan. 1, 2017, a family adopted a puppy named Bailey from Hoechstetter. The dog was seriously ill with parvovirus, and died on Jan. 8, 2017. The owners reported the defendant to the Irvine Police Department (IPD), who investigated this case.

(more…)

Probation Officer Charged With On-Duty Assault of Teens

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A deputy probation officer has been charged in connection with two separate assaults on teen inmates at Sylmar Juvenile Hall, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced today.

Deputy Probation Officer Carlos Portillo (dob 6/13/78) was charged in case BA454703 with two counts of assault under color of authority. Also charged in the same case are Supervising Deputy Probation Officer Sergio Cano, 45, and Deputy Probation Officer Timothy Boundy, 42.

Boundy has pleaded not guilty to three counts of assault under color of authority, while Cano has pleaded not guilty to one count of assault under color of authority. Portillo pleaded not guilty today to two counts of assault under color of authority.

“The probation officers charged in this case were entrusted with the safekeeping and well-being of youths while in their custody,” District Attorney Jackie Lacey said. “Sadly, in this instance, we believe the defendants abused their authority and broke the law.”

Deputy District Attorney Ann Marie Wise of the Justice System Integrity Division is prosecuting the case.

(more…)

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress