Best Defender Bytes:

September 8, 2015

FORMER VOLUNTEER SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER SENTENCED TO 60 YEARS TO LIFE IN PRISON FOR MOLESTING SIX MINOR BOYS AND POSSESSING AND DISTRIBUTING CHILD PORNOGRAPHY

Filed under: California Chid Pornography Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A former volunteer Sunday school teacher was sentenced today to 60 years to life in state prison for molesting six minor boys and possessing and distributing child pornography. Christopher Bryan McKenzie Sr., 51, Costa Mesa, was found guilty by a jury of 11 felony counts of lewd acts upon a child under 14 years old, one felony count of attempted lewd acts upon a child under 14 years old, four felony counts of using a minor for sex acts, one felony count of attempting to use a minor for sex acts, two felony counts of distributing pornography to a minor, and one felony count of possession of child pornography with sentencing enhancements for substantial sexual conduct with a child and committing lewd acts upon a child under 14 years old against more than one victim.

At the time of the crimes McKenzie worked as a swimming pool cleaner. The defendant was a volunteer Sunday school teacher at Christ Church by the Sea in Newport Beach between 2004 and 2006 and at Rock Harbor Church in Costa Mesa.

On multiple occasions between March 31, 1996, and Jan. 8, 2012, McKenzie committed lewd acts upon six different victims under the age of 14, including but not limited to masturbating, sexually penetrating, and orally copulating the victims. The defendant instructed several of the victims to remove their clothes and took nude photos of the victims under the guise that the photos would be used for modeling a sculpture.

The Newport Beach Police Department (NBPD) continued the investigation of this case with the Orange County Child Exploitation Task Force (OCCETF). In December 2012 investigators found the defendant to be in possession and control of child pornography and was subsequently arrested by NBPD.

(more…)

Jury Finds Man Guilty of Sexually Assaulting, Kidnapping 10-Year-Old Girl from Northridge Home

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

A 34-year-old man was found guilty today of 32 felony counts for the kidnapping and sexual assault of a 10-year-old girl two years ago, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

A jury found Tobias Dustin Summers guilty of: 11 counts of oral copulation or sexual penetration with a child 10 or under; seven counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child: oral copulation; four counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child: sexual penetration; and two counts of sex or sodomy with a child 10 or under.

Deputy District Attorney Laura Knight said Summers also was found guilty of one count each of kidnapping; first-degree burglary; kidnapping to commit rape; forcible lewd act upon a child; aggravated sexual assault of a child: rape; aggravated sexual assault of a child: sodomy; using minor for sex act and possession of matter depicting minor engaging in sexual conduct.

The defendant faces multiple life terms in state prison at a sentencing hearing scheduled for Oct. 22 in Dept. 101 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center. The case number is PA076500.

(more…)

North Hollywood Man Pleads to Animal Cruelty in Killing of Roommate’s Pet Rabbit

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A North Hollywood man pleaded no contest today to animal cruelty for killing his roommate’s pet rabbit last year, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Dimitri Diatchenko, 47, entered his plea to one count of animal cruelty before Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Jesic. Diatchenko was immediately sentenced to three years formal probation, 60 days community labor and 48 hours of animal cruelty counseling.

Deputy District Attorney Elan Carr said the defendant killed the rabbit on Dec. 6 2014, after the roommate had told the defendant that they should no longer live together. The two previously had a romantic relationship.

After the roommate left the house. Diatchenko skinned the pet, cooked it and ate part of it, while sending her graphic photos of what he did, the prosecutor added.

The case was investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department, North Hollywood Division.

Los Angeles County District Attorney / September 04, 2015

September 7, 2015

MAN LINKED THROUGH DNA SENTENCED TO SEVEN YEARS TO LIFE IN PRISON FOR 1982 COLD CASE MURDER OF FRIEND TO HIDE PREVIOUS MURDER

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

FULLERTON, Calif. – A man linked through DNA has been sentenced to seven years to life in state prison today for the 1982 murder of his friend after fearing that the victim had discovered a previous murder committed by the defendant, per the sentencing laws in existence in 1982. David Richard Campbell, 70, pleaded guilty to one felony count of murder with a sentencing enhancement the personal use of a firearm. Campbell is currently in custody in Orange County Jail.

Prior to January 1982, Campbell murdered his friend, William Raber.

On Jan. 2, 1982, Campbell met with his 26-year-old friend, Frank “Bart” Marshall, who mentioned that Raber had not been seen in a while. Campbell felt that Marshall was suspicious about Raber’s murder and decided to murder Marshall by shooting him in the head. He dismembered the victim’s body and discarded the remains in the mountains near Big Bear. The case was investigated as a missing person case, but went cold.

After the murder of Marshall, Campbell murdered John Fischer in Riverside County.

In 1985, hikers near Big Bear discovered fragments of a skull and reported it to authorities, but the remains were unidentified for over 27 years. The skull was identified in 2013 through DNA investigation and determined as belonging to  Marshall.

(more…)

DRUNKEN DRIVER SENTENCED TO SIX YEARS AND FOUR MONTHS IN PRISON FOR KILLING WOMAN BY THROWING HER FROM MOTORCYCLE IN CRASH

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A drunken driver was sentenced today to six years and four months in state prison for killing a woman by crashing into her motorcycle after making an unsafe turn into an intersection. Steven Todd Newcomer, 47, Santa Ana, pleaded guilty June 22, 2015, to one felony count each of vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated without gross negligence and hit and run causing death.

At approximately 8:40 p.m. on April 12, 2012, 32-year-old Kimberly Krause was riding her motorcycle eastbound on Chapman Avenue approaching the intersection at Pioneer Lane in Garden Grove. Newcomer was driving under the influence of alcohol traveling westbound on Chapman Avenue toward the same intersection.

As Krause legally passed through the intersection on a green light, Newcomer made a left turn in front of the victim without yielding to oncoming traffic. The defendant crashed into the victim which threw her from the motorcycle. Newcomer briefly stopped at the scene before fleeing into a nearby residential complex to a friend’s home. He failed to call 911 to seek help for the victim.

Officers from the Garden Grove Police Department (GGPD), who investigated this case, responded to the scene and located Krause lying at the corner of the intersection. She was transported to the University of California, Irvine Medical Center and pronounced dead at 9:01 p.m. due to multiple blunt force traumatic injuries.

(more…)

DISTRACTED FREEWAY DRIVER SENTENCED TO SIX YEARS IN PRISON FOR KILLING MOTORIST BY CRASHING 85 MPH INTO CAR STOPPED IN TRAFFIC

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – An inattentive driver was sentenced today to six years in state prison for killing a motorist by crashing into the victim’s car at approximately 85 mph after failing to notice that traffic had come to a stop. Jorene Ypanto Nicolas, 32, San Diego, was found guilty by a jury on Aug. 13, 2015, of one felony count of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. On April 16, 2014, a previous jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict in this case finding 11 to one in favor of guilt and the trial resulted in a mistrial.

At approximately 11:00 a.m. on April 27, 2011, Nicolas was speeding while traveling northbound on Interstate 405 near Edwards Street in a Toyota Prius. She became distracted and inattentive while driving and failed to notice that the traffic ahead had come to a complete stop.

Nicolas was driving at approximately 85 mph and failed to brake or slow when she slammed into the back of a Hyundai sedan, which was just starting to move after being at a full stop in traffic, driven by 23-year-old Deanna Mauer. Mauer’s sedan was pushed into the car in front of her and then traveled and struck the center divider before coming to a stop facing southbound in the northbound lanes.

After crashing into the victim’s car, Nicolas lost control of her own vehicle and also crashed into the center divider. Nicolas was transported to the hospital and treated for minor lacerations.

(more…)

September 4, 2015

SAN CLEMENTE MASSAGE THERAPIST SENTENCED FOR SEXUAL BATTERY AGAINST FOUR WOMEN

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 4:24 am

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – A San Clemente massage therapist was sentenced today for committing sexual battery against four women and inappropriately touching another woman. Ping Li, 51, San Clemente, was found guilty by a jury on Aug. 4, 2015, of four misdemeanor counts of sexual battery and one misdemeanor count of simple battery. He was sentenced today to one year and five days in jail, three years formal probation, restitution, pay $500 to the Victim Witness Emergency Fund, and mandatory lifetime sex offender registration.

At the time of the crime, Li co-owned and operated Massage Clover in San Clemente. Li worked as a licensed massage therapist.

On four occasions between June 4, 2014, and Oct. 4, 2014, Li committed sexual battery against three female clients who ranged in age from 20 years old to 57 years old. During the massage, while he was alone with the three female clients, he began touching their buttocks and vagina against their will, for the purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual abuse. He committed sexual battery against a female employee by coming up from behind her and touching her breast and vagina over her clothes when there were no other employees or customers around.

The defendant also inappropriately touched a fourth female client, by nearly touching her vagina during a massage.

(more…)

Woman Sentenced in Murder of Retired Redondo Beach Police Officer

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 4:22 am

A Los Angeles woman has been sentenced to 35 years to life in state prison after a jury found her guilty of the first-degree murder of a 74-year-old retired Redondo Beach police officer, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced today.

Centia Renee Martin (dob 10/26/78) was immediately sentenced yesterday after four hours of jury deliberations following a 21-day long trial in which Martin represented herself.

Deputy District Attorney Steven Gates said the evidence presented at trial demonstrated that Martin repeatedly bashed victim Robert Crigler in the head with a shotgun and nearly decapitated him with a knife on or between Jan. 10 and Jan. 13.

The shotgun was broken in the attack, the prosecutor said.

On Jan. 10, Crigler hired the defendant as a topless maid and masseuse, according to evidence presented at trial.

(more…)

Man Pleads in Taxicab Carjacking Case

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 4:18 am

A man was sentenced today to 15 years in state prison after pleading guilty to carjacking a taxicab near Los Angeles International Airport and leading police on a high-speed chase, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Derrick Bogar, 36, entered his plea to three counts of carjacking and one count each of fleeing a pursuing police officer’s motor vehicle, administering a drug and first-degree robbery.

Bogar was charged with three separate carjacking incidents that all occurred in April.

He carjacked two different cabs parked at LAX on April 7 and on April 8.

He also carjacked a taxicab driver on April 10 near the airport.

(more…)

September 3, 2015

Eight Indicted in Fraud Case That Alleges $50 Million in Bogus Claims for Student Substance Abuse Counseling

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

Eight people have been indicted for allegedly participating in a scheme that submitted more than $50 million in fraudulent bills to a California state program for alcohol and drug treatment services for high school and middle school students that, in many instances, were not provided or were provided to students who did not have substance abuse problems.

Six of the defendants who worked at the Long Beach-based Atlantic Health Services, formerly known as Atlantic Recovery Services (ARS), were arrested this morning by federal authorities.

The indictment, which charges the defendants with health care fraud and aggravated identity theft, alleges that ARS received more than $46 million from California’s Drug Medi-Cal program after ARS submitted false and fraudulent claims for group and individual substance abuse counseling services.

“The defendants named in the indictment are accused of exploiting a program that was set up to help a particularly vulnerable population – young people who are confronting drug and alcohol abuse,” said U.S. Attorney Eileen M. Decker for the Central District of California.  “According to the indictment, ARS and its employees engaged in a long-running fraud scheme to steal tens of millions of dollars from a program with limited resources that was designed to help underprivileged youth in recovery.  In the process, the defendants and ARS branded many innocent young people as substance abusers and addicts in order to boost enrollment numbers and billings.”

The defendants named in the indictment are:

(more…)

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress