Best Defender Bytes:

July 1, 2016

SEVEN COUNTERPROTESTERS CHARGED FOR ATTACKING MEMBERS OF WHITE SUPREMACIST ORGANIZATION DURING RALLY IN ANAHEIM

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:46 am

FULLERTON, Calif. – The Orange County District Attorney (OCDA) has charged seven counter protesters for attacking members of a white supremacist organization during a protest rally in Pearson Park in Anaheim, after an extensive and thorough review of the evidence submitted by the Anaheim Police Department (APD). APD conducted an extensive and thorough investigation and provided videos and hundreds of photographs to the OCDA.

There is still one counter protester suspect in a blue shirt that has yet to be identified and is being sought for kicking one of the victims in the head. Law enforcement is seeking the public’s help in identifying that suspect and photos of him are below.

“This case is not about who was holding the protest rally, their racist message, or who was counter protesting. This is about the mob mentality turning violent, which shut down neighboring streets, access to the park, and endangered the community as a whole,” said District Attorney Tony Rackauckas. “Our office does not condone any message of hate, mob violence, or vigilante justice.”

Charges

The seven defendants were charged today, June 30, 2016, with the following:

(more…)

Transient Sentenced For Attacking Boy Outside Walt Disney Concert Hall

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:40 am

A homeless man was sentenced today to six years in state prison after pleading no contest to attacking an 11-year-old boy outside a downtown Los Angeles concert hall last year, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Raul Villalba Ocampo, 33, entered his plea to one count of child abuse before being sentenced by Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Craig Veals.

Deputy District Attorney Irene Lee prosecuted the case.

On Dec. 10, 2015, the boy was on a field trip and standing outside the Walt Disney Concert Hall when Ocampo assaulted him. He placed the boy in a chokehold and punctured the victim’s neck with a sharpened key and continued to hold onto the boy until security personnel were able to intervene.

Case BA442175 was investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

(more…)

Former Santa Clarita Basketball Coach Sentenced for Sexually Molesting Students

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:38 am

A former basketball coach at the Albert Einstein Academy in Santa Clarita was sentenced today to 17 years, eight months in state prison after pleading no contest to sexually molesting six boys, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Randolph Jackson, 29, also was ordered to register as a sex offender for life by Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Sam Ohta.

Deputy District Attorney Reinhold Mueller with the Sex Crimes Division prosecuted case BA433664.

In May, Jackson admitted molesting six boys between the ages of 13 and 17 at various locations in Los Angeles, the prosecutor said. The incidents occurred between November 2010 and January 2015. He met the victims while working as a basketball coach at two separate schools.

Jackson pleaded no contest to a total of nine counts, including one felony count each of continuous sexual abuse, oral copulation of a person under 16 and lewd act on a child. In addition, he pleaded to six misdemeanor charges, including four counts of indecent exposure and two counts of child molesting.

(more…)

June 30, 2016

MAN TO FACE TRIAL FOR 1988 COLD CASE SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES MURDER FOR STRANGLING WOMAN TO DEATH DURING RAPE

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man is scheduled to face trial tomorrow for the 1988 cold case special circumstances murder for strangling a woman to death during the commission of a rape. Daniel Edward McDermott, 47, Buena Park, is charged with one felony count of special circumstances murder during the commission of a rape. Opening statements are scheduled to begin tomorrow, Thursday, June 30, 2016, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-40, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana.

Circumstances of 1988 Murder
At the time of the crime, McDermott During the early morning hours on Jan. 11, 1988, McDermott, then 19 years old, is accused of entering the home of 18-year-old Gehmine Chandler and forcibly raping the victim. During the rape, McDermott is accused of strangling Chandler to death. At approximately 5:30 a.m., the victim’s father discovered Chandler’s body and called the Buena Park Police Department (BPPD), who investigated the murder. Forensic investigators collected swabs from the victim and the crime scene and booked them into evidence. The swabs were examined for DNA and uploaded into a DNA index system but the case went cold.

Re-opening of Cold Case
On Feb. 16, 2009, BPPD and Orange County District Attorney (OCDA) Investigators reopened the case and re-interviewed family members and friends who had been named in previous police reports from 1998 in the Buena Park area.

On March 29, 2010, OCDA Investigators conducted a phone interview with McDermott. At the time, McDermott was residing in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

(more…)

PAROLEE STRIKER SENTENCED TO SIX YEARS IN PRISON FOR FALSE IMPERSONATION AND PANDERING FICTITIOUS MINOR GIRL ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:06 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A parolee striker was sentenced today to six years in state prison for false impersonation and the pandering of a fictitious minor girl on social media. Roger Lee Perryman, 30, Gardena, pleaded guilty today, June 29, 2016, to one felony count of pandering by receiving or giving money, one felony count of false personation, and one misdemeanor count of false representation to a peace officer with sentencing enhancements for a prior strike conviction for attempted robbery in 2010 and prior convictions which resulted in prison sentences for attempted robbery in 2010 and transportation of a controlled substance for sale in 2014 in Los Angeles County.

Circumstances of the Case

Perryman is a human trafficker/pimp who exploits women and/or children for financial gain. With the rise in popularity of social media and ease of meeting people on the Internet, many pimps and human traffickers utilize a variety of social media to locate potential victims. The victims are often required to turn over all payment they receive for sex acts from sex purchasers to their pimp.

At the time of the crime, Perryman was out of custody on parole.

Between Feb. 29, 2016, and March 28, 2016, Perryman contacted an undercover officer whom he believed to be a minor on a social media website. The defendant communicated extensively with the officer and attempted to persuade the officer to engage in commercial sex acts in Orange County and Las Vegas for his benefit.

(more…)

Burbank Man Charged with Attempted Murder Of Ten Sheriff’s Deputies

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:03 am

A Burbank man was charged today with the attempted murder of 10 Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies followed by an eight-hour standoff in Bellflower late Thursday night, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Juan Manuel Martinez (dob 7/19/76) is scheduled to be arraigned today in Department 2 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court in Bellflower. Prosecutors will ask that his bail be set at $11 million in case VA142260.

Deputy District Attorney Garrett Dameron with the Crimes Against Peace Officers Section is prosecuting the case.

Martinez is suspected of shooting and wounding a motorcycle deputy who pulled him over during a DUI checkpoint on Lakewood Boulevard. After abandoning his vehicle, Martinez allegedly fired on four other deputies who arrived to assist the downed deputy.

Martinez then allegedly wounded a second deputy as he fled the scene, firing at a second set of deputies before hiding in a small structure for nearly eight hours. He was arrested after a SWAT team fired tear gas into the structure. (more…)

June 29, 2016

Attorney General Kamala D. Harris, California Air Resources Board Announce $14.7 Billion Agreement Holding Volkswagen Accountable for Its Use of Diesel Emissions “Defeat Devices”

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:14 am

SAN FRANCISCO - Attorney General Kamala D. Harris and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) today announced a landmark $14.7 billion national settlement with Volkswagen over allegations that the company violated environmental and consumer protection laws by installing “defeat device” software to bypass emissions controls in its 2.0 liter diesel vehicles.

As part of the national agreement, which is subject to approval by the court, Volkswagen will spend approximately $10 billion to buy back or modify these vehicles, as well as pay $2.7 billion into a trust to support environmental programs and reduce emissions and an additional $2 billion on investments and promotion of zero emissions vehicles.  The agreement preserves the Attorney General’s and CARB’s claims for civil penalties and prospective injunctive relief, as well as their claims related to 3.0 liter diesel vehicles.

In addition to providing consumer relief funding, California will receive $1.18 billion, representing more than one-quarter of the funding VW must provide for environmental projects in states injured by the company’s conduct and investments it must make in zero emission technology.

“Our state and national environmental protection laws exist to protect public health and to preserve our planet for future generations.  Volkswagen undermined these objectives by deceiving California consumers and flagrantly violating California environmental and consumer protection laws by manipulating its diesel vehicles to produce false results when undergoing emissions testing,” said Attorney General Kamala Harris. “This landmark agreement not only ensures that consumers who were deceived are fairly compensated, but also requires Volkswagen to make unprecedented investments in protecting our environment and advancing zero emission technology.”

As part of the agreement, VW will offer compensation to those who own or lease a VW or Audi 2.0 liter vehicle as of September 18, 2015.  Owners have the option of having Volkswagen buy back their vehicle or, if approved by CARB and EPA, having VW modify their vehicle to reduce its emissions.  Owners who opt for a buyback or modification will also receive an additional cash payment of at least $5,100.  Some owners may receive as much as $10,000.

(more…)

23 People Indicted in Decades-Long, $126 Million Telemarketing Scheme involving Sale of Toner for Copiers and Printers

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:11 am

SANTA ANA, California – Federal authorities and Huntington Beach Police officers this morning arrested 20 defendants indicted by a grand jury on charges of participating in a long-running telemarketing scheme that targeted small businesses and charities by selling them toner products for printers and photocopiers at grossly inflated prices.

The indictment unsealed after this morning’s arrests alleges that participants in the scheme fraudulently induced over 50,000 victims to send more than $126 million to telemarketers who posed as the victims’ regular supplier of toner products at prices as much as ten times the normal retail price.

The 30-count indictment, which charges 23 defendants, alleges a conspiracy that started in 1988 and was orchestrated by Gilbert N. Michaels, a West Los Angeles man who had previously been ordered by federal and state court judges to cease fraudulent and deceptive business practices related to toner sales. Michaels owned and operated IDC SERVCO, a Culver City-based business that sold toner to small businesses, charities (such as Easter Seals Disability Services and the United Way), schools, churches, city governments and other entities in the United States and Canada.

In addition to the 20 defendants arrested this morning, two other defendants have agreed to surrender in the coming days. Authorities continue to search for the final defendant. Those taken into custody in this district this morning are expected to be arraigned this afternoon in United States District Court in Santa Ana.

“This toner fraud has been a tremendous burden on small businesses across America for many years,” said United States Attorney Eileen M. Decker. “The fraud had a tremendous impact on some victims, who reported a severe impact on their finances, and the collective losses caused by the fraud were massive.”

(more…)

TEENAGER ARRESTED AND CHARGED AS ADULT IN SHOOTING MURDER OF ANOTHER TEEN IN SANTA ANA HOME

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 12:09 am

SANTA ANA, Calif. – A teenager was arrested and charged as an adult today with the shooting murder of another teen in a Santa Ana home. Angel Alexis Hernandez, 17, Santa Ana, was direct filed as an adult and is charged with one felony count of murder with a sentencing enhancement allegation for the intentional discharge of a firearm. If convicted, Hernandez faces a maximum sentence of 50 years to life in state prison. The People will be requesting that the defendant be held on $1 million bail at his arraignment scheduled on Thursday, June 30, 2016, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-55, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana.

On Monday, June 27, 2016, Hernandez and 19-year-old Jesus Leon were both inside of a home in the 1000 block of West 2nd Street in Santa Ana.

At approximately 11:00 p.m. that night, Hernandez is accused of using a firearm to shoot Leon in the head. The victim died as a result of his injuries. The defendant is accused of subsequently leaving the scene.

Officers from the Santa Ana Police Department (SAPD) responded to the scene and began investigating this case. Based upon further investigation, SAPD officers located and arrested the defendant today, June 28, 2016, at approximately 5:30 a.m. at a relative’s home in Santa Ana.

The investigation in this case is ongoing. No further information will be released at this time.

(more…)

June 28, 2016

Paul Tanaka, Former No. 2 in the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department, Sentenced to Five Years in Federal Prison for Obstructing Federal Investigation into Misconduct at County Jails

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 4:40 am

LOS ANGELES – Paul Tanaka, who was the second in command of the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department, was sentenced today to 60 months in federal prison for his conviction on obstruction of justice charges stemming from him leading the LASD’s efforts to derail a federal investigation into corruption and civil rights violations by sheriff’s deputies at two downtown jail complexes.

Tanaka, 57, a resident of Gardena who left the LASD in 2013 when he was the undersheriff, was sentenced this morning by United States District Judge Percy Anderson. In addition to the five-year prison term, which Tanaka was ordered to begin serving on August 1, Judge Anderson ordered the defendant to pay a $7,500 fine.

In sentencing Tanaka, Judge Anderson recounted Tanaka’s career at the LASD, his role in the scheme to obstruct justice, and “the incalculable harm you have caused this community.”

While he was the assistant sheriff in charge of the jails, Tanaka “perpetrated an environment of excessive deputy conduct,” according to Judge Anderson, who said Tanaka’s actions led directly to an increased number of use-of-force incidents against inmates at the jails. The obstruction of justice scheme was designed “to derail the federal grand jury investigation” and constituted “a gross abuse of the public trust.”

A federal jury on April 6 found Tanaka guilty of two felony offenses – conspiring to obstruct justice and a substantive count of obstructing justice. After a 10-day trial, a federal jury deliberated for only a few hours before convicting Tanaka of being the head of a broad conspiracy to obstruct the federal investigation, a scheme that started when the LASD learned that an inmate at the Men’s Central Jail (MCJ) was an FBI informant. Tanaka directed a conspiracy that has resulted in the conviction of other former LASD officials who received sentences of up to 41 months in prison.

(more…)

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress