Best Defender Bytes:

November 5, 2014

CONTRACTOR CHARGED WITH MISAPPROPRIATION OF PUBLIC FUNDS BY FALSIFYING INVOICES FOR MORE THAN $130,000 AGAINST THE COUNTY AND EMBEZZLING MORE THAN $440,000 AGAINST EMPLOYER

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — fayarfa @ 5:07 am

SANTA ANA – A county contractor was arraigned today on charges of misappropriation of public funds by falsifying invoices for more than $130,000 submitted to the county for reimbursement and embezzling more than $440,000 by making unauthorized payments with his company’s credit card. Brian Cleveland Dunn, 61, Capistrano Beach, is charged with one felony count of misappropriation of public funds and one felony count of grand theft by embezzlement, with sentencing enhancements of aggravated white collar crime, property damage, and property loss. If convicted, Dunn faces a maximum sentence of 11 years and four months in state prison. He is out of custody on $200,000 bail and is scheduled for pre-trial on Nov. 20, 2014, in Department C-57, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana.

Vintage Marina Partners (VMP) is a company that manages a portion of the Dana Point Harbor called the Commercial Core. In 2004, Dunn was working as VMP’s General Manager. In 2008, he started up a new company called Organic Tree to purchase landscaping materials for county projects.

Between 2008 and 2012, Dunn is accused of purchasing landscaping materials and marking up the price of his purchases by 100 percent. He is accused of submitting and overbilling the County for over $130,000.

Between 2007 and 2011, the defendant is accused of making unauthorized payments using VMP’s company credit card on personal expenses costing over $400,000. Dunn is accused of making unauthorized purchases on clothing, travel, and improvements to his home in Hawaii.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Brett Brian of the Special Prosecutions Unit is prosecuting this case.

Orange County District Attorney / Case # 14CF3709 / November 3, 2014

9 Comments »

1. This is pretty much the exact information I was looking for! I really appreciate it. I did a quick Google search and came across this page, which was obviously helpful.

Comment by michael kukulka — November 4, 2015 @ 1:23 pm

2. They will provide you with a free diagnostic of your problem and a recommended solution. But you are under no obligation to have us do the repairs.

Comment by Jarred Herren — November 12, 2015 @ 12:11 am

3. Your post really helped me figure out life, if it weren’t for your site I’d probably still be stuck in search engine world looking for all sorts of information. You know?

Comment by imagine you new — November 18, 2015 @ 7:15 pm

4. Great post! We’re a successful software design and development company specializing in creating e-commerce Websites, iPhone, Android, and windows 8 applications, facebook applications, Internet marketing (SEO/SEM/SMO and PPC campaigns)

Comment by Lloyd Segal — November 30, 2015 @ 4:37 pm

5. Private virtual servers give your business freedom and flexibility. Do you have any experience in this field by any chance? I’m looking for an expert to help me setup my necessary files.

Comment by National Payment Solutions of New York LLC — November 30, 2015 @ 5:06 pm

6. Interesting topic but I’m not sure that I agree with you. Things like this have chanbged the way the web was formed and created. Is it really as simple as changing out the direction and watching the web change?

Comment by lilac shade — December 3, 2015 @ 7:13 pm

7. Life can be tough at times, you put in the hours of work and only end up with blank stares. You know what I mean? That’s the time posts like this keep me motivated.

Comment by Investment Rarities — December 7, 2015 @ 3:39 pm

8. Rene Mauk is methods people visit me and moreover I in its entirety dig that name. My property or home is ok in Manatee county. For long periods of time he’s have been working even though a purchase officer. What she loves doing would be fitness and yet she just can’t make everything her employment.

Comment by Investment Rarities — January 3, 2016 @ 7:04 pm

9. This was talked about a while ago and I suggested. Over the last decade though it became apparent that the industry people was getting involved with this principles. Archiving this would be best for everyone.

Comment by Walter Pigg north myrtle beach — January 6, 2016 @ 5:56 pm