Best Defender Bytes:

March 28, 2012

Father Sentenced to Maximum Term in Baby’s Beating Death

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 2:08 am

NORWALK – A South Gate man convicted earlier this month of fatally beating his infant daughter and assaulting his wife was sentenced today to 50 years to life in state prison, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Deputy District Attorney Heba Matta of the Norwalk Branch Office, who prosecuted the case, said Jose Tulio Deras, 21, was convicted on March 7 of one count each of second-degree murder and assault on a child causing death pertaining to his 9-month-old daughter, Valerie. Deras also was convicted of one count of sodomy by use of force with allegations that the defendant personally used a knife and tied and bound his wife in the commission of the crimes.

Norwalk Superior Court Judge Philip Hickok imposed the defendant’s sentence at a morning hearing.

Deras was babysitting his infant daughter and 2-year-old stepson on Jan. 15, 2011, when the baby’s crying triggered the fatal beating, the prosecutor said. Deras punched Baby Valerie numerous times in the chest and hit her over the head with a shoe causing fractures to her skull, according to evidence presented at trial.

(more…)

GANG MEMBER SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT PAROLE PLUS AN ADDITIONAL 70 TO LIFE FOR DRIVE-BY SHOOTING-MURDER OF INNOCENT TEEN MISTAKEN AS RIVAL

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , , — fayarfa @ 2:06 am

SANTA ANA - A gang member was sentenced today to life in state prison without the possibility of parole, plus an additional 70 years to life in state prison, for the drive-by shooting-murder of an innocent teen mistaken to be a rival in retaliation for a gang shooting two weeks earlier. Guillermo Brambila, 25, Santa Ana, was found guilty by a jury Jan. 24, 2012, of one felony count each of conspiracy to commit murder, murder, attempted murder, active participation in a criminal street gang while carrying a loaded firearm in public, three felony counts of street terrorism, and sentencing enhancements for criminal street gang activity, the vicarious discharge of a firearm by aging member, the vicarious discharge of a firearm by aging member causing death, and murder committed for a criminal street gang purpose.

At approximately 8:30 p.m. on Nov. 27, 2007, Brambila and fellow criminal street gang member Jonathon Andrew-Marquez Dizon, 20, were standing on Bradford Street in Santa Ana. The defendant was carrying a loaded firearm. While standing outside, Brambila observed a black car drive into the neighborhood, which he believed was occupied by rival gang members.

The defendant gave his firearm to Dizon and told Dizon to shoot at the car. Dizon approached the vehicle, briefly exchanged words with the occupants, and then fired at the car. The occupants of the car shot back at Dizon, hitting him multiple times, and then drove away. Brambila ran up to his friend, took the firearm from his hand, and then fled the scene and abandoned Dizon bleeding and dying in the street. The victim was transported to the hospital and was pronounced dead approximately an hour later.

On the night of Dec. 11, 2007, Brambila and fellow gang members drove into a rival gang neighborhood looking for someone to shoot and murder in retaliation for the murder of Dizon. The defendant was the driver. At approximately 9:30 p.m., the defendant spotted 15-year-old Eric Guerrero walking down the street. The victim was not a gang member but the defendant wrongly believed him to be a rival.

(more…)

Hospital Employee Charged in Fatal Stabbing

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 2:04 am

VAN NUYS – A Kaiser Hospital employee was charged with voluntary manslaughter today in connection with the stabbing death earlier this week of a transient who was slain outside the Woodland Hills facility.

Solomon Lee Washington, 58 (dob 7-27-1953), was arrested by Los Angeles Police on Monday after the slaying on hospital grounds. He was scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon in Van Nuys Superior Court Department 100. The District Attorney’s Office recommended bail of $120,000.

Washington, a janitor/orderly at the hospital, was involved in an altercation with Michael Vizkelety, 48, who allegedly was loitering on hospital grounds. Authorities said Washington went inside the hospital to summon security.

Authorities said before security arrived, Washington went back outside and was confronted by Vizkelety, who was stabbed with a small folding knife during a scuffle with the defendant. When security arrived, they took Vizkelety into the hospital, discovered he was bleeding and took him to the emergency room. He died shortly afterwards and Washington was arrested.

Washington was charged in case No. LA070487 with one count of voluntary manslaughter. The complaint alleged he used a knife to commit the crime. If convicted, the defendant faces a possible maximum prison sentence of 12 years.

March 27, 2012

California Man Sentenced to 300 Months in Prison for Production and Possession of Child Pornography

Filed under: Federal Crimes Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 8:06 am

WASHINGTON – Edward Lee Sullivan, of Oakland, Calif., was sentenced today to 300 months in prison for production and possession of child pornography, announced Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division and U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag of the Northern District of California.

Sullivan, 39, was found guilty on Feb. 25, 2011, of one count of producing and one count of possessing child pornography after a 13-day bench trial before U.S. District Court Judge D. Lowell Jensen of the Northern District of California.

Evidence presented at trial showed that during a two-week period in March 2008, Sullivan trained a 14 year-old girl to work for him as a child prostitute.  During the course of those two weeks, Sullivan produced numerous photographs and videos of the minor, which documented the steps Sullivan took to prepare the girl to work as a prostitute and as an actress in pornographic movies.  According to trial evidence, Sullivan filmed at least one pornographic video of the minor, which depicted Sullivan instructing the minor as she performed oral sex on him.  At the time Sullivan committed these crimes, he was on parole following a 2002 state conviction for pimping and sexual conduct with a 14 year-old girl.

Sullivan also was sentenced today to lifetime supervised release following the completion of his prison term.

WOMAN SENTENCED TO LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT PAROLE FOR MURDER-FOR-PROFIT CONSPIRACY TO HAVE CANCER-STRICKEN HUSBAND KILLED

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 8:04 am

SANTA ANA - A woman was sentenced today to life in state prison without the possibility of parole for conspiring to have her third husband murdered so she could save money by not paying for his cancer treatments and financially profit from his insurance and 401(k) death benefits. Sandra Jessee, 61, formerly of Placentia, was found guilty by a jury Dec. 7, 2011, of one felony count of special circumstances murder for financial gain and one felony count of conspiracy. Jessee was convicted in a re-trial of the case, as a previous jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict on July 21, 2009.

Sandra Jessee’s son from a previous marriage Thomas Dayton Aehlert, 42, Gold Canyon, AZ, pleaded guilty in this case Oct. 7, 2011, to one felony count of second degree murder and faces a sentence of 15 years to life in state prison at his sentencing Sept. 7, 2012, 2012, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-35, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana.

Co-defendant Thomas Joseph Garrick, 36, Laguna Hills, is charged with one felony count of special circumstances murder for financial gain and one felony count conspiracy to commit murder. He faces a maximum sentence of life in state prison without the possibility of parole if convicted. The defendant is being held without bail and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing April 27, 2012, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-55.

In the spring of 1998, Sandra Jessee’s third husband of 15 years, 56-year-old Jack Jessee, was diagnosed with cancer.  Sandra Jessee wanted to move to Arizona, where Aehlert had recently moved. The victim did not want to leave California, where his adult children lived.

(more…)

Chatsworth Man Charged with Beating Father to Death

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: — fayarfa @ 8:01 am

SAN FERNANDO – A 45-year-old Chatsworth man was charged today with the murder after he allegedly beat his 78-year-old father to death with a hammer, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Jun Hyuk Chang, (dob 5-5-66), is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon at San Fernando Superior Court, Department S. He is charged in case PA073030 with one count of murder with the special allegation that he personally used a dangerous weapon, a hammer. Prosecutors will ask that bail be set at $1.02 million.

Chang allegedly called 911 about noon on Sunday to report his father, Sun, was dead, police said.

If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.

March 26, 2012

Suspect in Job Corps Stabbing Charged with Murder

Filed under: Los Angeles Criminal attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 2:27 am

LOS ANGELES – A 22-year-old man suspected of fatally stabbing a popular Job Corps counselor was charged today with murder, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

Freddy Leyva, (dob 9-29-89), is scheduled to be arraigned after 1:30 p.m. at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center, Department 30. He was charged in case BA395133 with one count of murder and personal use of a dangerous weapon, a knife, to kill Dwayne Alexander.

Police said Leyva was a resident at the Job Corps facility in the 1200 block of Lodi Place in Hollywood. He allegedly stabbed Alexander multiple times before other residents managed to subdue and disarm him until police arrived. The incident occurred about 4:40 p.m. Wednesday at the center.

Leyva is being held on $1 million bail. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.

Armenian Power Member and Three Armenian Power Associates Convicted Of Federal Charges For Roles In Identity Theft Ring

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 2:25 am

Last of Four Defendants Convicted by Federal Judge

After a five week trial, a federal judge in Santa Ana, California, yesterday convicted the last of four defendants of bank fraud and identity theft charges based on her part in one of the largest identity theft schemes in California history, with dozens of victims in four states, and millions of dollars in losses.

Kristine Ogandzhanian, 28, of Burbank, CA, was convicted yesterday by United States District Judge David O. Carter of two counts of bank fraud and four counts of aggravated identify theft.

Ogandzhanian and two of her co-defendants waived jury and consented to trial by the judge.  The remaining defendant was simultaneously tried by a jury.  Last Friday, the judge found Ogandzhanian’s two co-defendants guilty, while the jury convicted the other co-defendant.

Artush Margaryan, 28, of Van Nuys, CA, was convicted by jury of one count of bank fraud conspiracy, one count of bank fraud, and three counts of aggravated identity theft.

(more…)

Former Rosemead Mayor Pleads Guilty to a Federal Bribery Charge for Taking More Than $10,000 in Payments from Developer

Filed under: Federal Crimes Defense Attorney — Tags: , — fayarfa @ 2:22 am

LOS ANGELES – The former mayor of the City of Rosemead, California, pleaded guilty to a one-count information in federal court this morning.

John Tran, 36, of Rosemead, pleaded guilty to a federal bribery charge based on a series of payments he solicited and received from a property developer.  The property developer is referred to as a cooperating informant (CI) because he later informed the FBI of Tran’s bribery scheme. Tran first approached the developer at Rosemead City Hall.

The bribery charge to which Tran pleaded guilty related to cash payments totaling $7,000 given to Tran by the developer in 2005 and 2006, and a $3,200 check payable to “cash” that Tran received from the developer’s business partner in 2007.  During his guilty plea hearing, Tran acknowledged that he may be required to make restitution in the amount of $38,000 to the developer, based on the total amount Tran received during the scheme.

In pleading guilty, Tran admitted that “[d]uring the time that the CI made payments to defendant, the CI’s planning and building proofs were pending approval before the City.”  According to his plea agreement, Tran “occasionally informed the CI that the CI’s project was ‘there,’ and that he was ‘not going anywhere.’”  Tran acknowledged that “[b]ased on the CI’s conversations with defendant, the CI believed that the CI would have to accede to defendant’s bribe demands if the CI wanted the project approved, and that the CI’s project would not be approved if the CI refused to pay defendant.”

(more…)

March 23, 2012

TRANSIENT SEX OFFENDER CONVICTED AND SENTENCED FOR SEXUALLY ASSAULTING 14-YEAR-OLD GIRL ON BUS

Filed under: California Defense Attorney — Tags: , , — fayarfa @ 1:53 am

SANTA ANA - A transient sex offender was convicted and sentenced to two years in state prison today for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl on a bus by rubbing his erect penis against her after approaching her from behind. Curtis Michael Regulus, 40, pleaded guilty to two felony counts of lewd acts upon a 14-year-old child who is at least 10 years younger and one felony count of assault with the intent to commit a sexual offense.

At the time of the crime, Regulus was a transient registered sex offender known to frequent the Newport Beach and Costa Mesa areas.

At approximately 4:00 p.m. on June 19, 2010, 14-year-old Jane Doe got on a bus in Placentia after visiting her grandmother. The victim sat toward the back of the bus and Regulus moved to sit directly behind her. Jane Doe became uncomfortable and moved to the front of the bus near the driver. Regulus got up, followed the victim, and sat directly across the aisle from her.

When the bus reached the intersection of Orangethorpe Avenue and Harbor Boulevard in Anaheim, Jane Doe walked to the back doors of the bus to exit. Before the doors had opened, Regulus walked up behind Jane Doe and pushed himself against her, rubbing his erect penis against her buttocks through their clothes. The victim pushed the defendant away and pounded on the door of the bus for the driver to open it.

Jane Doe got off the bus and walked to the intersection to cross the street. While she was waiting for the light to change, Regulus again approached Jane Doe from behind and pushed his erect penis against her buttocks. The victim turned and attempted to push the defendant, who then grabbed her arm and pulled her toward him. Jane Doe struggled and was able to break free. The defendant yelled at the victim as she ran across the street to escape.

Regulus’ lifetime registration as a sex offender would bar him from entering County recreational areas and City parks which have passed the Sex Offender Ordinance. Visit www.orangecountyda.com to read the prior press releases on the County’s Sex Offender Ordinance as well as the 11 other cities that have enacted the Child Safety Zone Ordinance.

Older Posts »

Powered by WordPress